Loader premature pin wear

/ premature pin wear #1  

not2old

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 Massey GC2610TLB
My 2010 GC2610 has just over 100 hrs. on it and there is considerable wear on the loader pins already. During the first service at 10 hrs, I discovered that I'd been using it with no grease, as the nipples had been painted over and I'm using it in a lot of sand. I'm assuming both of these factors have speeded up the wear process. The kicker is that there are no bushings used. The pins wear directly on expensive parts and the dealer tells me they've never had to even replace pins yet on any of these tractors. I don't know what to think or do except grease everything more often. Anyone else had to do any work on theirs? I'm open to any and all advice before I panic. I've bought some aftermarket pins but wonder about the hardness required.

/ premature pin wear #2  
I think you're on to something with greasing more often. If you're using it in sand, it's a little more abrasive. You should grease every few hours or daily depending on how many hours at a time you use it. Greasing is also a good time to check over the machine while you're walking around it.

/ premature pin wear #3  
How one greases is as important as how often. Clean the nipple with a paper towel and add grease till clean grease flows from the joint and then remove excess. Not flowing enough grease can introduce abrasive material into the joint and cause excessive wear.

/ premature pin wear #4  
Missed grease fittings have been discussed here many times, and was on the first list, in the "FAQ for newbies" thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/197005-all-newbies-faq.html

I can't tell you how many times this has happened now, but it is a lot. The dealers, and MF continue to embarrass themselves, by allowing incompetent, poorly trained, and unsupervised employees do this simple and important task. It is hard to accept that it is purely a mistake, when you see it happen over and over, for years.

For those who are faced with this issue, you can easily remove the paint off the end of the grease fittings with a razor blade. Or, replace them, but that is not usually necessary.

This is a good place to spend $2-$3 more, and buy synthetic grease. It stays in place better, and holds up longer.

I don't think 10 hours use would cause significant damage. Your FEL and B/H will get wear in them, even if you grease them religiously. I greased mine, and it had some slop in it at 100 hrs.

This is why many of us suggest you do your own maintenance. If you go back to that dealer, you will be giving the same hacks in the service department, another shot at you.

I say, grease it up, and fo-ged-a-boud-it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / premature pin wear #5  
Missed grease fittings have been discussed here many times, and was on the first list, in the "FAQ for newbies" thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/197005-all-newbies-faq.html

I can't tell you how many times this has happened now, but it is a lot. The dealers, and MF continue to embarrass themselves, by allowing incompetent, poorly trained, and unsupervised employees do this simple and important task. It is had to accept that it is purely a mistake, when you see it happen over and over, for years.

For those who are faced with this issue, you can easily remove the paint off the end of the grease fittings with a razor blade. Or, replace them, but that is not usually necessary.

This is a good place to spend $2-$3 more, and buy synthetic grease. It stays in place better, and holds up longer.

I don't think 10 hours use would cause significant damage. Your FEL and B/H will get wear in them, even if you grease them religiously. I greased mine, and it had some slop in it at 100 hrs.

This is why many of us suggest you do your own maintenance. If you go back to that dealer, you will be giving the same hacks in the service department, another shot at you.

I say, grease it up, and fo-ged-a-boud-it. :thumbsup:

Well said, I now grease mine when working on big jobs-sometimes that means every 3-5 hours-othewise every 7 hours.