Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done.

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done. #1  

Mcaveman

Silver Member
Tractor
Own Z121S, BX25 purchased w 35 hrs
So this is my first garden, I tilled in in the fall it's about 30x50. My question is , what's the name of the attachment if they make one to prep the rows?
I am a total newbie please don't make fun of

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done. #3  
AKA "Hiller / Bedder"

Usually comprised of what is commonly referred to as a "tool bar"...as it can be built up to do a lot of different things with assorted hardware/attachments etc...

a couple of 14"-16" discs w/ mounts is all you need to make raised beds etc...adding sweeps or s-tines cultivate behind the rear tire tracks...the video also show a "furrow sweep" for seeding...

You can use the "tool bar" for a lot of different applications...they are highly adaptable and make a great place to start if you have a mind to make your own special purpose implement...

Good Luck...

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done. #4  
You can buy what you need from Agri Supply: a "keulavator" (e.g. 3ph tool bar) and a couple big discs. Set them up like I did on my JD M toolbar shown in the picture. Makes perfect raised rows. Then never till them. Just use row crops or mulch.

Ralph

Attachments

• 747718-Disc Hillers Rear sm.jpg
    747718-Disc Hillers Rear sm.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 330
   / Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done.
Thank you

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done. #6  
Mcaveman,

I also have a BX3250 with rear tiller. All I do is run the tiller through our 25 X 40 garden with the depth set as low as it will go. After that we just plant. the dirt is pulverized enough to make a good planting bed. When we got started with this garden, I took the shoes off the tiller so it would go deeper into the ground. After getting the rocks out I put the shoes back on. BTW, we have LOTS of rocks here in Missouri. Before our snow last week, I ran the tiller through the garden to get ready for spring. I'll probably run through it again just before planting. I do this several times before planting as we mulch our garden with the leaves from our oak and maple trees. This needs to be turn several times to properly decompose the leaves.

If you feel you need to further prep your garden for rows, follow the above posts for the correct attachments. :2cents:

Don't EVER feel that you are asking a dumb question. the ONLY dumb question there is, is the one YOU DO NOT ASK ! ! ! :D :cool2: Good luck with the garden.

Dave

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done.
Thanks Pepsi that is good info, I have a rear time walk behind and am debating on upgrading to the cat 1. I don't have money for both so I would sell the rear time but was intending on keeping that for weed control durin growing season.

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done. #9  
I use a middle buster to make perfect raised rows after I till (and also before I till on virgin soil.) CountyLine® Middle Buster - Tractor Supply Co.
I then lay landscape fabric over the hills before ploanting/transplanting to keep the weeds at bay. I don't use chemicals of any kind here and don't have time to weed so this method works well for me.

Worth every cent, an invaluable tool for garden premp IMO.

/ Prepping a garden with bx? Not the tilling part that's done. #10  
Thanks Pepsi that is good info, I have a rear time walk behind and am debating on upgrading to the cat 1. I don't have money for both so I would sell the rear time but was intending on keeping that for weed control durin growing season.

Mcaveman,
That is what we do also. The walk behind is for keeping the weeds down (they grow FAST here). Maybe you could get one of those "Mantis" type small tillers to keep weeds down and still afford the cat-1 rear tillers for the tractor. :2cents: Our little Mantis does pretty good job IF I stay at it regularly. Best of luck.

Dave