Pressure pot paint sprayer

/ Pressure pot paint sprayer #1  

Dougeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra eMax 20s, Takeuchi TB210R
Having painted all our wood post and rail fences with brush and roller in the past, I'd like to find a more efficient, less time consuming way.

I found this sort of thing, anyone know anything about them, are they any good? Price seems that it could be one of those too-good-to-be-true things...

High Pressure Pot Air Paint Spray 2 1/2 Gallon Industrial Painting Painter

/ Pressure pot paint sprayer #2  
I used an airless sprayer from northern tool to do my 2x8 fences. I think that they sell it for barn painting. It worked great; I could put the intake in 5gal buckets and spray about 200' of fence at a time. But, and it is a big but, you have to follow up on the spray by rollering it if you want the paint job to last. I did it to one new fence line and did not roller the other. After three years, the spray only fence was showing areas where the paint had lost adhesion and rubbed/worn away. The rollered fence is still fine 8 years later. I did not prime, as the paint was a Home Depot fence paint that supposedly did not need priming.

I wore a tyvek full body suit and respirator and highly recommend wearing PPE. The spray blows everywhere, even without wind.

All the best,

Peter

/ Pressure pot paint sprayer
Long cord or generator for power to the electric compressor, and fortunately there are no neighbours within overspray distance, so only my own stuff to worry about...

/ Pressure pot paint sprayer #4  
I have a 5 gallon pressure paint pot and used it to paint my house. Never again! Believe it or not roller is better and faster (for a house). Your application doesn't require masking and protecting against overspray so you may be faster - maybe. However, there is a reason the airless sprayers were developed for latex paint, you have to thin the paint so much it's not much more than white wash. I suggest an airless sprayer with a small generator.

/ Pressure pot paint sprayer #5  
An airless is the right tool for the job. Also keep in mind that spraying always uses more paint than brushing or rolling.