Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #21  
I will give you all these rat snakes around here. They are about 4 to 6ft. long. I don't have hardly any mice. But I do have chickens and the snakes like eggs too. So they die from lead poison. But if you want them I will be gladly to send them to you.

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #22  
The easy way to eliminate snakes eating the chicken eggs is to simply place a few golf ball in the nest (or round smooth rocks). They only consume one.

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #23  
As to the 5 gal bucket trapping, you don't need any fancy setup.
Simply have the bucket placed near a rough textured wall, be it brick, stone or rough wood.
Mice can not jump out of a 5 gal bucket!
Peanut butter or corn is good bait.
Once in the bucket feel free to dispose as you wish.

In our cottage (log cabin with more than a few 'gaps' here and there) we had a 5 gal bucket near the stone faced fireplace. Somehow some popcorn ended up in the bucket and we were waken by the thump thump of a mouse attempting to get out.
We then always left bucket there baited with peanut butter and it became a morning routine to dispose of mice.
My tally one winter was 36!

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #24  
I tried the Irish Spring soap... The mice loved it! The first time I checked the tractor after putting that under the hood, I found half the bar eaten. Stick with the plastic Tomcat traps. I filled up the space behind my radiator with 3 of them and started killing mice every time I checked it.

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #25  
Cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil placed in/on tractors is a good rodent deterrent.

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #26  
Just get a couple of these guys, they'll take care of the rodents and the snakes. They showed up around 5 years ago and we have been rodent free ever since.
Mom & Astro.JPG

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #27  
Just get a couple of these guys, they'll take care of the rodents and the snakes. They showed up around 5 years ago and we have been rodent free ever since.
View attachment 559595

I have not seen them but heard them. We habe an owl in the woods. Decidedly less mice around.

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #28  
Darn - for some reason you were able to get close - and in the day time - most unusual. Mother on the left - young on the right. I do not know what brand they are - not Barn Owls or Great Horned Owls either. I have barn and great horned but they certainly are falling short on mouse maintenance.

/ Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #29  
Darn - for some reason you were able to get close - and in the day time - most unusual. Mother on the left - young on the right. I do not know what brand they are - not Barn Owls or Great Horned Owls either. I have barn and great horned but they certainly are falling short on mouse maintenance.

Their Barred owls and they've been nesting behind my barn for about 5 years, they are here every day so I guess they've just gotten used to me. That photo was from last year when they only had one baby, this pic is from this year and they had two. Also this breed is somewat active during the day, usually around dusk and dawn.
P1020046.JPG

Last edited:
   / Preventing Rodent Damage During Tractor Storage #30  
I tried the Irish Spring soap... The mice loved it! The first time I checked the tractor after putting that under the hood, I found half the bar eaten. Stick with the plastic Tomcat traps. I filled up the space behind my radiator with 3 of them and started killing mice every time I checked it.

Ok, so they didn't love it or it would have been all gone, just sayin. :laughing: