Preventing theft

/ Preventing theft #1  

Yellow Duck

Tractor
Kioti CK30HST,KL130 loader,KB2475 Backhoe
My tractor is stored far away from my house so in case someone would try to steal it, to make their life harder I was thinking installing a switch either on the stop solenoid or the clutch switch, does this makes any sense? Could taking power off the stop solenoid could damage something?

Thanks

/ Preventing theft #2  
Most auto parts stores sell a on off switch that you put in the middle of a battery cable that might do what you want. Do you have a fuse that you can pull to stop it from starting? Some construction equipment have metal plates that go over the dash, or where the key is located that is lockable. Taking off the front tires and bringing them home might help.

/ Preventing theft
Thanks for the answer!
I was thinking about a concealed switch, easely accessible (under the dash as an example) that could prevent fuel from flowing or engine to start. So a small switch that would cut-off power to the stop solenoid, stop relay, or start relay.

/ Preventing theft #4  
Other quick ideas are to use some of the existing safety switches to prevent someone from starting the tractor. When I have to leave my tractor unattended, I engage the PTO lever. Could also use the safety switches on the seat (may or may not affect starting, but sure as heck can't move the tractor) and HST treadle (can't start). Use a shim to prevent the seat from applying pressure to the seat sensor when someone sits down. Use a block of wood under the floor to engage the HST treadle mechanism. All easy stuff and the tractor is already setup with these things.

With both the PTO switch and HST treadle switch engaged, if someone tries to hotwire the tractor, it won't start. Even with a key it won't start. They'd have to know about, and then troubleshoot any of those safety switches to get it to start. If they are in a hurry, chances are they don't have time to do this.

If the seat sensor is engaged and it's an HST model, the engine will die as soon as they try to move. Again, if they're in a hurry they won't have time to figure this out.

For extra protection, you could wire your own hidden switch into one of the safety circuits. So then not only would they need to know all the safety switches to deactivate, they'd also need to find your switch and deactivate that.

Lots of options. Think about the intended target and figure out which ones will work.

/ Preventing theft #5  
Very simple.
Simply disconnect any one wire from any of the safety switches, that or install an on/off switch in a safety switch line.

Mt CUT had a safety switch on the shifter that was defective and previous owner simply connected the 2 wires to complete the circuit.
My 'anti theft' is to simply unplug the connectors that live under my seat.

LOL, from time to time I forget and somewhat panic thinking I have a dead battery until I remember my anti theft' gimmick.

Added to that my key broke in the switch and remains there, I simply use a stubby flat screwdriver to activate the switch.

OR add a switch (panel mounted) in a safety line and label it 'turbocharger'-----or if open station mark it 'air conditioning' LOL

(as an aircraft mechanic I installed more than a few phantom switches to ground out magnetos in order to prevent aircraft theft.)

/ Preventing theft #6  
I do what others have said. I disconnect the clutch safety switch and engage the PTO. Also position the tractor so it cannot be easily dragged onto a roll back tow truck. If you have a backhoe, stick it straight out to the side rather than tucked in back, and put the stabilizers down. If the tractor cannot be started or dragged it is not likely to be stolen.

/ Preventing theft
Thanks a lot for all the good advices!

I already put down the backhoe, and lock the joystick. There is no safety switch under the seat so I will go with the clutch safety switch option and engage the pto, seems easier done.
Most of the time we are at home but the tractor sits out of sight at the sugar house so I just want to make sure that they can't start it, also the way it is park it would be difficult to drag out.

/ Preventing theft #8  
I saw a horn connected to the key switch in the start position and an ordinary button used for start. Unknowing people would always blow the horn trying to start it which was also fun to watch!

/ Preventing theft
Am I wrong or looking at the electric diagram, if I put a short between the battery cable on the start solenoid and the starter it bypass the start relay and clutch switch, so if the key switch is on that would start the engine?

/ Preventing theft #10  
Hidden switch also game cam for back up.