Preventing well pump flood

/ Preventing well pump flood #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
God forbid you spring a leak on your well pump piping. Basement floods out. The well will just keep running and running.
Has anyone installed any safety gadjet to prevent this potential tragedy?

/ Preventing well pump flood #2  
Simply install a low pressure cut-out switch at the pressure tank. Cheap, simple and good insurance against floods. Also, a water alarm in the basement is a good investment too.

/ Preventing well pump flood
Thank you very much Doofy. I just ordered the switch from Amazon. Thanks again!

/ Preventing well pump flood #4  
We turn off the well pump when we're going on a trip. Could still happen even at night when we're asleep.

/ Preventing well pump flood #5  
We turn off the well pump when we're going on a trip. Could still happen even at night when we're asleep.
Agree on turning off well pump when not at home. It only takes one SNAFU to really cause a mess and a large expense.

/ Preventing well pump flood #7  
Great idea if they haven't scrimped on the electronics or switches. 40 some odd years ago, design engineers and architects decided to install "Day Tanks" (inside heating oil tanks) in all new school construction or remodels. Needless to say, failsafes failed and schools filled up with heating oil. I've seen electronics fail, pressure switches fail and even heavy duty electrical switches fuse closed and flood the place. I vote to turn the pump off when not at home.

/ Preventing well pump flood
I don't think a low pressure cuttoff switch would necessarily prevent a flooded basement. If a major leak would occur, the pump would probably maintain more than 10psi. over the low setting, and still flood the basement. What would work is the : Skillings and Sons Water Shutoff The leak defender RS. As previously mentioned.
Using a wet switch, 24vac transformer, 24 220 volt relay the leak defender RS could probably be pieced together.

/ Preventing well pump flood #9  
A water leak alarm is a good idea as well

/ Preventing well pump flood #10  
I don't think a low pressure cuttoff switch would necessarily prevent a flooded basement. If a major leak would occur, the pump would probably maintain more than 10psi. over the low setting, and still flood the basement. What would work is the : Skillings and Sons Water Shutoff The leak defender RS. As previously mentioned.
Using a wet switch, 24vac transformer, 24 220 volt relay the leak defender RS could probably be pieced together.
They have a fairly good description about how they shut the water system down which is very simple. What I don't see is much of an explanation about how they detect leaks. That to me is the key part of that system and one that is very difficult to do. I would have to see one of those work.