Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #11  
$1.29? Must be 4 year old fuel...
March 2020. I treated it for algee and have a golden rod filter on it that's showing no signs of anything.

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel
March 2020. I treated it for algee and have a golden rod filter on it that's showing no signs of anything.
So did you do it at gunpoint or how did you get that kind of price?

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #13  
So did you do it at gunpoint or how did you get that kind of price?
Lol no gun involved. Heating oil and oil prices where all dropping through the floor. I was watching it do so while everyone was worrying about where to find TP and hand sanitizer. I got about 500gal. I filled my home heating oil tank and the spare I use for equipment. Thst was just the going rate for HHO.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel
Lol no gun involved. Heating oil and oil prices where all dropping through the floor. I was watching it do so while everyone was worrying about where to find TP and hand sanitizer. I got about 500gal. I filled my home heating oil tank and the spare I use for equipment. Thst was just the going rate for HHO.
Should have gotten a tank truck load. Typical tanker holds 7600 gal so 7600 x $3 higher that fuel is now -- $22,800 difference. Probably could buy an old used tanker for that. If only we knew then what we know now...

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #15  
My reserve 275gal tank had been sitting at ready for 4-5yrs waiting for that day.

I should state too that oil heat is our backup and fully expect a 275gal tank to last 4+yrs. Useing the other in equipment it's close to 6+yrs

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #16  
I don't think home heating oil is taxed (other than maybe a sales tax in states that have one). It does sound like your supplier was pulling a fast one, but as others suggested, you don't know what they paid for it.
At least you can shop around for oil, unlike propane.
Speaking of propane, we're about due for a fill, I dread to think what that's gonna cost. Was high enough in the fall!

We do have an oil furnace, but only use it if we're going to be away, or at the very beginning/end of the season. Can't remember when the last time I filled the tank...gotta be 5+ years ago, still over 3/4.
We shop around for propane here, why cant you?

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #17  
HOH or H2O is water!

willy

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #18  
Just used the last drum of June 2020 farm diesel purchased @ll $1.37.9.
Have two drums left from last June@ $2.48.9.
Not sure yet if I'll buy any this year?
No issues with storage.

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #19  
We shop around for propane here, why cant you?
Because no suppliers will fill someone else's tank, few if any will fill a privately owned one either. I don't feel like buying one and taking my chances that someone will fill it now, let alone years down the road, especially for the relatively small amount I use.
Maybe it's different where you are, but I don't live there.

/ Price Gouging on Heating Oil vs Off-Road Diesel #20  
As to propane here they want to inspect the tank before filling if not their tank. Agree one company will not fill another's tank.

I noticed the price difference between off road fuel and home heating fuel twenty or more years ago. One reason given me was the hho is delivered and much of the off road is not but the off road that is delivered is to larger tanks or have a delivery fee on top of the price per gallon. The person who brought this to my attention drove a fuel delivery truck and used HHO.