Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I am looking at several 3 point hitch mounted, pto driven snowblowers for my 25hp LS XJ2025H.

Tractor is HST and 48" wide. Thinking of a 54" to 64" wide blower after I install a back up camera and more mirrors.

I have seen huge price differences between brands and their offerings.

Looking at Frontier, Woods, Northern Tool. Nice used models are sometimes priced close to new.

Who makes a good product and whose price has not gone to their head?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #2  
Most all of them will work well - also consider Woodmax - their 60" unit is well built and about 700 Lbs. I have one and been happy with https://www.woodmaxx.com/product/woodmaxx-sb-60/ but they have gone up in price like everything else $3300 now - I paid $2700 including electric chute rotator.

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #3  
Frontier is a Deere brand...I have one (74" behind a 52 HP tractor) for several years...other than breaking one shear pin (which was my fault), it's been a great piece of equipment.
That said, if I was looking for PTO driven push type today, it would probably be a Woodmaxx. I have one of their chippers and very happy with it

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #4  
I have been very happy with Bercomac. I find a variation of snowblower quality to be the gauge of metal used in construction, and quality of driveline parts. It's worth spending the extra for quality, to not have to drive a failed snowblower back down a half cleared driveway to fix it in the cold! The heavier gauge material has the benefit of not vibrating and flexing, and not being dented so easily when the snowblower blows a rock through.

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #5  
I have been very happy with my LuckNow blower. It's a no frills, heavy duty blower built like a tank. They come up on the used market occasionally and from what I've seen rarely require more than cosmetic work. I bought mine barely used, but added a cutting edge and full hydraulic chute controls.
Anytime I find myself looking at new blowers like the inverted styles, I always end up focusing on the numerous Canadian brands.

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #6  
Well my LS with cab and HST has 46 PTO horsepower and operates a MK Martin 72 inch 3 point blower excellent, could probably operate a wider blower fine but I really wouldn’t want wider because that might lead to trouble when operating in tight quarters or when using the front loader.
A good thing to pay attention to when buying a blower is how wide or deep are the paddles inside the blower, wider paddles don’t plug nearly as easily as narrow paddles.

Last edited:
   / Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #7  
A good thing to pay attention to when buying a blower is how wide or deep are the paddles inside the blower, wider paddles don’t plug nearly as easily as narrow paddles.
No matter what the width on the fan (i.e., paddles), use an anti-stick like PAM on the chute, fan (and housing), auger (and housing) to prevent snow sticking.
I also use an anti-stick (PAM generic equivalent) on my front blade and snow shovel. This works great, especially in wet snow

/ Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #8  
I am looking at several 3 point hitch mounted, pto driven snowblowers for my 25hp LS XJ2025H.

Tractor is HST and 48" wide. Thinking of a 54" to 64" wide blower after I install a back up camera and more mirrors.

I have seen huge price differences between brands and their offerings.

Looking at Frontier, Woods, Northern Tool. Nice used models are sometimes priced close to new.

Who makes a good product and whose price has not gone to their head?

TIA

Yooper Dave
Dave we're this close to the end of this season and I'd think about one more attempt at summer used market. Then the various dealers inventory might be looked at by the dealer with a different negotiating attitude in the spring when they might be ordering next winters stock.👍

Last edited:
   / Price vs Quality for PTO Driven Snowblowers #9  
I just bought a Farm King. $3k, out the door. Made in Canada. Works great. Came with the electric chute rotator installed. I called most of the dealers w/in 75 miles and bought the only/last 60" around. I needed it NOW, and didn't want to wait 'til next summer... The local orange dealer told me he's been waiting on his snowblower order since last JULY!