Priefert Rotary Mower?

/ Priefert Rotary Mower? #1  

scodemike

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XR3135HC
Anyone ever hear of Priefert Rotary Mower's? I am looking at purchasing a new 5' and have looked at Rhino, Frontier, Landpride and John Deere. Deere is nice but beyond my target price.

/ Priefert Rotary Mower? #2  
Bush Hog Squealer. Priefert is likely to be a strong machine but I have no personal knowledge.

/ Priefert Rotary Mower?
Just to bump this, does anyone have experience with the Priefert Mower?

/ Priefert Rotary Mower? #4  
No, no experience with the Priefert machines. I was in fact surprised to learn via your post that Priefert was now in the implement business. They have always been a cattle working tool company.....building work chutes.....gates....fencing products, etc.

Now, apparently, building shredders and post hole diggers and box blades and so on.

Looking at the cutters via their website they look pretty much like KKs or some other light prescription design mowers. Similar to Howse too. I wouldn't count them any higher, or pay any more, than you would for the common economy cutter/post hole digger/box blade you could get from the nearest TSC, Northern Tool, etc.

/ Priefert Rotary Mower? #5  
Compare the weights.

Bruce

/ Priefert Rotary Mower? #6  
I recently purchased a Priefert 5 foot standard mower. It is a sturdy unit, more so than the KK found at Tractor Supply but not as sturdy as a Rhino. Priefert makes both a standard and heavy duty 5 foot model. I only have a shear pin, would have preferred a slip clutch. So far the unit has performed admirably. So far the only issue is using my Quick Attach for the 3 point. My unit sat at a McCoys for at least 2 years that I know of so it was probably made prior to quick attach popularity or something larger than my B3200. The first time out I actually used it to cut the lawn. Did a nice job. One other thing. When removing the blade for sharpening the socket purchased from TSC seemed a bit small. I am using a 1 5/8". Don't know if the nut is oversized or the socket is wrong sized, but it's a tight fit.

This is my first brush mower so don't have anything else to compare. It runs quieter than my 4' land pride finish mower.

/ Priefert Rotary Mower?
Thanks for the replies. I have reviewed the specs on the Priefert vs Rhino and Frontier. Weight wise they are close, Rhino is 640, Frontier is 590 and Priefert is 516. Deck thickness is similar, Rhino is 10 gauge, Priefert 12 and Frontier 11.

/ Priefert Rotary Mower? #8  
How does it compare to a Kodiak?

idaho2

/ Priefert Rotary Mower?
So originally I was looking for a good used Brush Hog, mostly junk with high prices. Then I compared various new models and after visiting a dealer narrowed it to a Rhino 160 or a Landpride RCR1860. Same price, just need to decide which. The only differences are the Rhino has a lower rpm, bigger gear box and cuts 1 1/2" material. The Landpride has higher rpm, slightly smaller box and cuts 1". Given my usage the smaller material cut is not an issue. The diference between 65 hp and 50 hp box respectively with my 3320 probably doesn't matter. Oh and they are within 30 lbs in total weight.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
   / Priefert Rotary Mower? #10  
Thanks for the replies. I have reviewed the specs on the Priefert vs Rhino and Frontier. Weight wise they are close, Rhino is 640, Frontier is 590 and Priefert is 516. Deck thickness is similar, Rhino is 10 gauge, Priefert 12 and Frontier 11.

from 10 ga to 12 ga is quite a sizable difference