Seeders primary seeders

/ primary seeders #1  

ragman

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX22 TLB
I've borrowed a landpride 1572 primary seeder and I don't have a clue as to how to adjust the settings correctly. I read in the manual where it says to choose the speed range ,high or low depending on how you place the sprocket. The manual then gives seed cup settings for the amount of seed per acre. I'm trying to sow grass seed ( kentucky blue,perenial rye, and fescue) and could use some help. Does anybody know what the settings should be? How much seed should I be sowing per acre?

/ primary seeders #2  
Ragman,

Roughly 40-50 lbs per acre. I don't know the landpride machine but by the number 1572 I presume it's 6' in seeding width.

Set up a measured run of 100' or area of known sq ft using 5 or 10 pounds of seed (weigh it if possible otherwise guesstimate) then start seeding checking at the end of each 100'. You should get about 100'x6' area seeded per 5 pounds.

Make sure you check the nozzles and delivery system for obstructions before starting.

Carl

/ primary seeders #3  
ragman
I have a 4' landpride seeder so the settings are the same. The scale under the lid will get you close as a rule. but to be more accurate floow the manual instructions. for fescuse in yards I put on between 8lb & 9Lb per 1000 sq ft. my seeder is in the high side, the 3 possition door under the seed cup is in the middle possistion and is set a 40. for lawns I seed 2 dirictions for a better pattern. X 2 passes I get 8 to 9 LbS per 1000 sq ft.

/ primary seeders #4  
Ragman, what the instructions for high and low range may not tell is that you need to take out a section of one chain
and put it in the other chain in addition to flipping sprocket to go between ranges.

the cup setting is for the size of seed.
For your mix keep the little plastic bars at the top or next to the top setting.

Also, for that mix I like 6-7lbs per 1000sq ft. for customers. If you are on a budget and can wait for fill in of grass you can opt for 3-5lbs/1000 sq ft.

Calibrate your self by starting in high
at about #80 position.
Raise the seeder and capture seed somehow as you rotate drive wheel
47 times, measure weight and adjust meter until you get desired coverage.

Good Luck

/ primary seeders
thanks to all who replied. the seeder worked like a champ. now all we need is some more rain and watch the grass grow.

/ primary seeders #6  
thanks to all who replied. the seeder worked like a champ. now all we need is some more rain and watch the grass grow.

OK, now I know it's been long enough to germinate... How was the coverage? :D

I've got almost 2 acres to seed and am looking to rent this model, ps1572.