Pro Farm

/ Pro Farm #1  

KevinCarty22

Hi I am new to form , New to Tractors . I should say late to form
I bought a 2430 in Aug 03 off e bay Distributer out of Richland M.O. Nice guy --Brian --Told me he would diliver and explain ?
Guy how brings it has no way to take it off truck , and knows nothing . I burn Hydraulic pump. I keep tractor at summer house in P.A. 3 Hrs away from where i live in NY .Summer time and 2 pumps later i get it going . But somthing never works right with the Koyker backhoe . Brain says i not working lever right this goes on all summer finally i bring ray a man who worked on tractors his whole life .Finds my cluch is gone on the PTO side . What do you Know warrenty is up !!!! After 20 calls i finally get --Butch-- from Homier Distributing .Very Nice guy . My real problem is no body can tel me why ? at end cheap part . Ray puts it back togather . They did send new cluch free No labor . 12hrs later cluch is gone again this time from the drive side . We ask why and was told by butch that parts suck get it repacked in america??? Now i am sorry for this long post and i dont like to blame anbody . But i would like the tractor to work Any sugestions Any body living up near scanton PA . Has this happined to anybody eles. Thanks in advance > maybe if i can talk to a knowledgable mech.

/ Pro Farm #3  
Kevin,
Sorry to hear about your problems. It is very unusual for the PTO clutch disk to fail, but I susupect it has something to do with the pump issue? Are we talking the PTO pump that runs the backhoe that was replaced twice?

It is more common to see main disks fail, unfortunately this is often caused by user error. I assume since you have a backhoe that you also have a loader, nearly all clutch failures I have seen involve loaders. These clutches do not like to be slipped! Many people by habit or for whatever reason, without even realizing it, tend to use the clutch pedal to regulate speed, especially when filling a loader bucket. I replaced two clutches for a 2430 owner here in Arkansas, he swore that he did not ride his clutch. When he picked up the tractor the second time, he drove up the ramps on his trailer in high range, and slipped the clutch all the way to reduce his speed. I told him that I saw him do it, but I don't think he believed me. I fuess he should have bought a hydrostatic trans tractor.

The correct prceedure is to use a gear low enough that you can run with the clutch fully released, if the tractor bogs than a lighter load on the bucket is called for.

Think of the clutch as an on/off switch, not a dimmer switch.

Of course I can't say this is what happended in your case, would need to see the parts. I do know of many people who have run the 30 and 35HP Jinma (Farm Pro is a renamed Jinma) many hours without clutch problems so the "cheap parts" remark may not be justified. I do agree that there are likely better lining materials available to us in the USA and the advice you got may result in an improved product, but keep in mind, many many OEM clutches and replacement clutches for many brands come out of China.

I would not worry about using "improved" lining material on the PTO disk, as I said it is much more unlikely for them to fail under most common tractor uses. Did those pumps lock up? If there was a mechanical bind on the PTO that burned the PTO disk, perhaps the heat damaged the temper of the spring washers in the pressure plate which could lead to premature failure of the main disk.

Now that I have said all this, the simple quesiton comes to mind. have you tried adjusting the clutch to get 1" free play in the pedal? did you have 1' free play when you started? THis can be adjusted on the linkage of the clutch pedal.

maintaining this free play is critical, if you dont have it, it is the same as riding the clutch with your foot.

/ Pro Farm
Thanks for posting reple
The pump that went was the loader pump . I was told because i picked up the pto lift ? 2 levers rigt side bottom of seat .
One was wrong size
I dont know about cluch ajustment when i recived it as it was demo at Triple T and brain said it was working fine . But Pto side burned. New cluch problem I maybe drove from barn to ditch iam digging , 200 yards ?? Mech. Followed all specs down to Micro metering it . Going to get cluch resurfaced and try again . Was on the inprecion that whith old tecknolegy these tractors where as tough as nails . Been driving cluches all my life in cars beating piss out of them and never had problem like this . Dont mind fixing if my fault , just want to know why ????

/ Pro Farm #5  
A while back there was some post about the "factory" installing some clutch disc backward.they wore out real soon. Not saying that's it but find a good parts breakdown and double check it.I think John's Tractor page has a good breakdown. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Pro Farm #6  
Think of it this way, if you try to push a wall with your standard transmission car without spinning the wheels or stalling the motor, what it going to take the "heat"? the clutch. it is no different pushing a heavy load into the bucket, if you are using the clutch to regulate speed, it will not last.
Again, I am not saying this is what happened on yours but this does happen. Just think of the clutch as an on or off item and you will get many hours. Hope the new fix takes care of it for you.