Problems replacing Hydraulic Outlet Pipe (with pics and part numbers)

/ Problems replacing Hydraulic Outlet Pipe (with pics and part numbers) #1  

jp2code

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200 and L4400DT
In the image below, taken of the underside of the floorboard on my Kubota L4400, there is a stainless steel hydraulic line that is shaped like a P trap that you would find under the sink in your bathroom or kitchen:

zV0R0Iah.jpg

That P pipe has a bad habit of getting hung on tree limbs and stumps. One side mounts with a big banjo bolt that takes a 1-inch wrench and the other side has a single o-ring that slides into the block housing. When it gets hung up, it yanks the pipe out, bends it, and drains all of my hydraulic fluid. Further, the hose is no longer useable because I have no way to get it bent to the right angle.

Coleman Equipment sells them, and there is a diagram of it below, listed as number 170:

TC230-37552.jpg

REFERENCE: Parts for Kubota L4400DT 4WD Tractors | Coleman Equipment

Last year, it was yanked off, I replaced it. To get the new p-pipe on, I had to loosen the manifold assembly at # 010 above so that the p-pipe could slide into the casing and onto the manifold assembly. I put 10 gallons of clean hydraulic fluid back in the tractor, cranked it up, and it still leaked all over the ground from the little o-ring at #200 above. When I tried taking it apart to reseat it, there was no way to keep 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid in the tractor, so I took it to the local Kubota shop where they took care of it for me (for a fee, of course). They told me afterward that I did not have the o-ring seated.

This year, I hung another limb, root, or stump, and the p-pipe was yanked out again. I ordered the part again with a new o-ring, paid extra attention to get the o-ring seated in there and not in a bind in any kind of way. There is no way to test it until the hydraulic fluid in there, so I filled it with 10 gallons of clean hydraulic fluid (Mind you, this stuff isn't cheap - that's over $100 worth of hydraulic fluid).

When I cranked the tractor, the same part is leaking again, and I know I took special care when installing it this time.

Does anyone know if there is a special trick to getting this p-pipe inserted?

And, does anyone know of a special guard I could get to protect this crucial piece of my little tractor?

/ Problems replacing Hydraulic Outlet Pipe (with pics and part numbers) #2  
Couple of things come to mind. That is a pi$$ poor setup for sure. I assume it was done to give a bit between both pieces but they did it in a bad way for sure.
Could you rotate the 'P' trap so it's horizontal, hard to tell from the angle of the pic if it'll clear the other pipe or the fittings may not be in line?
I see it's a return line so there's no big pressure on it.
If it were mine, I think I'd cut the fitting off the sleeve of the banjo and weld a hydraulic 90deg fitting on it and cut the other end of the pipe and adapt it to a coupling and use a hydraulic hose to connect them...........Mike

/ Problems replacing Hydraulic Outlet Pipe (with pics and part numbers) #3  
Similar setup on my MX. I too ripped it out once back in the woods and had to get another tractor to yank it back to the shop.

After replacement, I made a skid plate.

Im not sure if there are any over-the-counter skid plate solutions for your tractor. But I'd be contacting a local welder/fabricator in your area and see if they can make something for you.