Problems with a logger

/ Problems with a logger #11  
We have contacted the owner of the property, another senior lady, and told her of the damage.

Obviously I don't know your neighbor, but from reading your post, I sort of got the feeling that because she's an elderly lady, that you feel the need to by nice to her and are trying to avoid a confrontation with her.

The funny thing is that I've met allot of old timers, and I've come to the conclusion that age has nothing to do with character. If they were a piece of crap in their younger years, they are still crooks and dog doo doo in their older years.

She may be a saint, or she may be a total crook and was aware of what was going on with the loggers on your land and didn't care. The fact that she's having them log her place when prices are down indicates that she's either not very wise with her investments, or she's hurting for cash. It's just a guess on my part, but if she's hurting for cash, I don't think she cares what the did on your land.

It's your call and you have to deal with her, but I wouldn't avoid a confrontation with her over what happened. I would document everything that you can find, and come up with a monetary value for it. Then I would tell her that she owes you that amount of money and if she doesn't pay it, you will take her to court. She can pay you, or she can go after the loggers and get the money and pay you. I wouldn't wait for her to play games with the loggers, that's her problem. She owes you for the damages that she hired the loggers to do. It's 100% on her to make this right.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Problems with a logger #12  
Im not a lawyer, but i think the responsibility for the damage lies on the loggers.

They were contracted as "professionals" to do the job. In the process they damaged your property. Unless the neighbor deliberately told them to do so, then i think shes in the clear. As professionals its their responsibility to do the job correctly. Think of it this way, your having a swimming pool dug, and they cut the fiber for the neighbourhood? who pays to repair it? the contractor or their insurance.

We had a very similar situation happen. A neighbor had some land logged and the loggers cut a path across the back of our property. TO add insult, they took the timber they cut for the road and sold it!!

We were advised to sue the loggers, not the land owner. We calculated the stumpage and settled with the loggers for the value of the timber and some money for damage to our land.

THe legal system in the states may be different so YMMV

/ Problems with a logger #13  
If your place was properly marked, could you not file criminal trespass charges through the sheriffs office on the loggers?

/ Problems with a logger #14  
I was approached by a "logger". Well a person who worked for a sawmill who was going to do some logging for my neighbor. I have taken some forestry classes and know our county forester so i entertained the idea for about ten mins. I walked the property and realized they had already been on my property to mark the trees they wanted and to mark the property line. I took a look at the trees they wanted and the cut they wanted to do was a highgrade cut. cut the best leave the rest. This would have set back my timberlot by 50 years. So i asked for a copy of any insurance before they cut and i never heard back from them. I also asked our county forester to come out and give me some advice on maintaing my lot. (basically 20 ac of mixed hardwood) He noticed right off the bat that they were going to do a highgrade cut and laughed when i told him about the insurance. We also looked at some of the cuts that they made on my neighbors property. They barber chaired a bunch and ruined a couple of nice cherry the way they cut them. The cherrys we figured are growing at 1/2 inch a year so if i wait ten years the 100 dollar trees i have will be worth 6-900 dollars. We also figured out what trees to do release cuts to let the quality trees grow. The trees i drop i am using as firewood. Needless to say if i went with the fast quick buck, my property would be destroyed, my future potential earnings would be gone and i would be sepending more and more money to replant.
Things i learned.....1. talk to your county forester before any cut. 2. the county forester deals with the loggers all year long, see number 1. 3. When the loggers know the county forester has and will be on your property before and after they cut it seems there are less problems so see number 1. 4. the county forester will know of any federal and local grant money and or programs that may help you, plus our taxes pay for that service.
sorry for the long rant
forgeblast.

Last edited:
   / Problems with a logger
Things are looking up. The landowner told the logger to contact my MIL and he did. I've talked to him and we are going to meet at the beginning of the week on site. I get the feeling he will do the right thing. My wife's family has been in the area for close to 100 years, and know everyone, so it is in his best interest to.

I did check and a permit was pulled and he has the proper insurance. If things don't work out we will for sure become more confrontational. In a community this small it works better if you don't have to though.

MarkV

/ Problems with a logger #16  
I give all my friends this adv ice and if you log your property it will serve you well. Before anyone logs your property hire a private forester who will work for you. They will mark the trees to be harvested and send out request for proposals to mills who purchase the types of logs you have for sale. When the quotes come back you can review them with your representative and choose who you want to purchase the logs.

The successful bidder will pay the forester the agreed upon price + a cleanup fee that will be returned when the logger has cleaned up his mess. The forester will also oversee the progress of the harvest and if the weather causes unusual damage to the property he can make sure it is delayed until better weather. This up front payment makes the trees his and from a legal standpoint he is harvesting his own trees and you are no longer liable if any accident happens.

Foresters usually take a 10-15% fee for this service but let me say that I know for a fact that they will get a lot more for your timber than you will get on your own. I know someone who got a quote from a logger and was going to sell his timber for $17,000, he decided to get a forester and when the bits were opened the winning bid was $42,000, and guess what the winning bidder was the same guy who offered $17,000.

What can you do about the damage to your property? First I'd check and make sure that none of your trees were harvested. Also as others said the neighbor contracted with the logger and is responsible, they can deal with the logger.

If I could prove that the logger took down your fence and crossed your property I'd contact the local law enforcement agency and have them served for trespass.

Iagree with about 200% of what ToadHill said :D with the one addition...

qualified with "in our case" the forrester DID bring in more money than was originally being offered by the guys "trying to help" my father in law...I think he garnered something like an additional 50K or heck, for all my memory is, perhaps an additinoal 100K... either way it was an expense well spent.

My suggestion though... do NOT do what my father in law did and pay the forrester 100% up front when the bid is paid.

Truth be told, in our case, once the forrester was paid, all of the "oversight and monitering" that he was supposed to do got washed away. I think he showed up once/twice after paid (12 month contract). I was the one that had to jump on these guys about the derilict tire and all their personal trash that I might add, was specifically addressed in the contract that they were to clean up daily. Had he been out here performing the second half of his contract he would have caught that in an instant.

Once the forrester guy got his cash, he was pretty much gone like the wind but I must give him credit... his inventorying of the land did net a higher price.

/ Problems with a logger #17  
In a situation like this in MS, where I live, the logger is responsible for his acts and for the acts of his crew. He would be responsible for a trespass, theft of property and damage to property. He would be liable for payment for use of easement, restoration of property to pre-use condition as well as stumpage. Stumpage would be payment for trees harvested which could be 2 to 4 X the amount paid to him for the harvest off your property OR it could be a fee per stump. That could be something like "X no of $/stump" which could be huge amuont so do your homework and DOCUMENT YOUR DAMAGES before you ask for compensation.

Also, remember not to threaten him with legal action as that can be construed as extortion. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice, just information shared from MY experiences.........

/ Problems with a logger #18  
Also, remember not to threaten him with legal action as that can be construed as extortion.

What:confused::eek: Any lawyers care to comment on that statement?
Seems like the threat of legal action is standard practice to get things moving....:rolleyes:

BTW my dad had a very poor experience with a logger too, in fact I've yet to hear of anyone that was pleased with logging operations on their land:cool:

/ Problems with a logger #19  
You don't think that they are still around but most loggers are gypsies. They run scams whether they be asphalt or logging or roofing. They steal everyone blind. They run flim-flam, confidence, identity theft, check cashing, and plain old robbery all the time, funny you never read more about them.

Still, logging theft from adjoining land is the industry standard in my area. You need political influence in order to have the city or the county shut them down or dead to rights surveys, forestry reports, and a very dedicated attorney. Your nice neighbor was likely robbed by them and they likely contaminated her land.

In any event, see the attorney first, call the local state fish cop or state forestry officer for advice, hire a private surveyor or forester, then try to locate the company, shell corporation, or individual. Still be very careful, they have the capacity to sue or harass you, they are tough to nail down if you are not a government official yourself. Every time I see loggers it is depressing.

I had no luck with trespass or anything. I lost my trees plain and simple because I wasn't there to guard them. That goes for the county attorney, sheriff, and state tree police. I only lost three trees (nice sugar maples), I was in Kosovo when it happened, man, was I mad. Get your fences up and protect them trees. The gypsies are out there, it is hard to believe they are still running around, virulent survivors.

/ Problems with a logger #20  
We cut some of our trees in 2000. We did it right and used a Forester. Its been awhile since I read the law but I'm pretty sure in NC if the logger cuts my tree by mistake he pays me three times its worth. Even with depressed timber prices it does not take many stolen trees to make it a felony crime. One would hope that the local DA and Sheriff would look at this crime seriously.

Many smart people get taken by the bad loggers. People just don't know what the trees are worth and the loggers come in a tell the owner that they will give them $10,000 for the trees. The owner says WOW I'll take it. They don't realize the trees could be worth many times more than offered.

Good Luck.
Dan