Problems with new Mahindra 4035

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hello Everyone,

this thread developed in the buying forums, but since then it has morphed into more of an owning/operating issue. I am moving my posts and updates to this section and will provide updates on this thread from now on. Below is a brief synopsis of what I have been dealing with for the past two months with my new 4035. Please understand that I love the tractor. It really is an amazing machine. That feeling is somewhat overshadowed by the CONSTANT hydraulic leak that I am dealing with. The tractor has been to the dealer four times for the same issue. During one of the visits/repairs the dealer tweaked the cruise control (causing it to no longer work properly). The mechanic does not know how to fix the leak or the cruise control. Out of the two months that I have owned the tractor, it has been out of service for about 75% of the time (leaking so bad it can't be used, waiting for the dealer to pick it up, at the dealer for repairs, or waiting for it to be brought back and dropped off). The tractor currently has 33 hours.....

Original Post 4/11/15:

Well I ended up going with the 4035 from my local dealer. I worked it pretty hard over two days. On the end of the second day I noticed a leak. Called the dealer who sent out a tech same day. Turns out that one of the banjo fittings is bad. He has to order the part - so I'm sidelined for a few days. I put about 15 hours on the tractor. I have to say that the performance is pretty darn impressive.

While I wish the leak had not happened - I was pleased that my dealer had someone out to my place same day to take a look at it. He even gave me a free gallon of hyd fluid.

I really can't imagine not having 4wd. I have already gotten myself into some pretty sticky spots. Between the 4wd and locking diff - the tractor has made it out of everything thus far.

Update #1:

Well - the dealer sent out his mechanic to look at the tractor again. He tightened up a fitting - but its still got a slight seeping leak. Mechanic says its "normal" to have some leaks....Not really buying that, but I didn't want to push the issue too far with him. I think I will wait until the 50 hr service and I will bring it up again if it is still leaking.

I noticed that when the tractor came back the last time from the dealer that the cruse control setting no longer stayed forward as you moved the lever - it simply flops back to the rear. Im pretty sure that it is supposed to stay in place as it is moved forward - thereby maintaining the speed of the tractor - correct?

The mechanic seemed to think it was normal, but I am almost positive that I remember the cruse control lever holding its position as it is moved forward.....

Any advice?

Update #2:

I called the dealer again yesterday about the leak. He told me that he would send his mechanic out. I told him that I was getting tired of the same issue over and over. He ended up calling the regional rep for Mahindra. He told me that I should be receiving a call directly from the rep. That was yesterday morning - still waiting for a call.

I really have to say that I'm disappointed by the way things are going. Every time I use the tractor the leak gets worse and worse. It always leaks from the same area too. It has been to the dealer four times for the same problem. I really like every other aspect of the tractor.

I feel like I paid 26k for a tractor that I can barely use. Hopefully the Mahindra rep will call me soon. I'm starting to have that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about this purchase.

Each time (after repair) the leak starts as a small dripping leak. Eventually is develops into a constant stream of fluid after a few more hours of use. Right now it is a dripping leak, but I'm confident that it's going to get worse with a few more hours of use.

The dealer has replaced one fitting with a heavy duty fitting and has added a crush washer to stop the leak. I'm not sure that either of these fixes are "proper". I'm going to call the dealer again today if I don't hear from the rep by noon.

Does anyone have any advice?

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035
Here are some photos of the trouble area:

Tractor5.jpgTractor4.jpgTractor3.jpgTractor2.jpgTractor1.jpg

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #3  
Can't really tell where the leak is in your pictures, but I can say that fixing a leak isn't all that difficult. You just replace the line if that's the problem, or put in a new O ring, or rebuild the cylinder if it's there. I have to question that skill level of the mechanic they sent out there and if the dealer is refusing to supply the parts needed to make the fix. Saying it's normal is just plain stupid.

Eddie

Eddie,

I thought it was pretty ridiculous when he told me that as well. I also thought it was crazy when he told me that I would have to hold the cruise control in the position that I wanted. Whats the purpose of cruse control if I have to hold the lever?!?!? I didn't argue with him because I figured that it wasn't worth it. He probably just does not know how to fix it.

As for the hyd leak. If you look at the first picture - on the left side of the picture there is a nut with a copper washer. The leak now seems to be coming from around that copper washer. The mechanic called is a crush washer. I don't remember seeing a copper washer there when the tractor came from the factory. Maybe it was an attempt at a fix by the dealer?

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #5  
Eddie,

I thought it was pretty ridiculous when he told me that as well. I also thought it was crazy when he told me that I would have to hold the cruise control in the position that I wanted. Whats the purpose of cruse control if I have to hold the lever?!?!? I didn't argue with him because I figured that it wasn't worth it. He probably just does not know how to fix it.

As for the hyd leak. If you look at the first picture - on the left side of the picture there is a nut with a copper washer. The leak now seems to be coming from around that copper washer. The mechanic called is a crush washer. I don't remember seeing a copper washer there when the tractor came from the factory. Maybe it was an attempt at a fix by the dealer?
It seems to me the crush washer is the problem. I'd replace it myself and forget about the dealer. It can't be that hard of a fix.

Here is a quote from another forum, " Crush washers by design compress when forces are applied to them. Two reasons they are used. (maybe more but im only aware of two). Are. One the washer gives a more uniform seal to the mating surface of the fastener. And two. All fasteners lose some tensile strength and begin to stretch after repeated load and unload situations. With this in mind, the crush washer can aid in good seal after fastener has stretched.
If you were to buy new washer, you should see a difference in the thickness. It is recommended to always change a crush washer every time fastener has been loosened. (as far as i know)."

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #6  
The speed control is probably just held in place by friction and needs to be tightened a little so it holds it there on it's own. His comments that you are supposed to hold it there also indicate a lack on knowledge or extreme dishonesty. It sounds like you need to call corporate headquarters yourself. When people start lying about little things, it's impossible to trust them to do anything they say they will. Odds are good that they never called the regional rep and you will never hear from them.

Crush washers are not something that I've seen very often. I do know that they have to be replaced every time with a new one. When talking to your regional rep, I would ask about that. Is there a site that has a schematic of your engine and if that crush washer is supposed to be there? It sounds like you have a .50 cent repair that the dealer isn't taking seriously.

Eddie

The speed control is probably just held in place by friction and needs to be tightened a little so it holds it there on it's own. His comments that you are supposed to hold it there also indicate a lack on knowledge or extreme dishonesty. It sounds like you need to call corporate headquarters yourself. When people start lying about little things, it's impossible to trust them to do anything they say they will. Odds are good that they never called the regional rep and you will never hear from them.

Crush washers are not something that I've seen very often. I do know that they have to be replaced every time with a new one. When talking to your regional rep, I would ask about that. Is there a site that has a schematic of your engine and if that crush washer is supposed to be there? It sounds like you have a .50 cent repair that the dealer isn't taking seriously.

Eddie

I have left a message with MUSA - just waiting for them to call me back. I would try to fix it myself, but I'm not very mechanically inclined and I bought a tractor that has a good warranty just for that purpose.

We have another mahindra dealer about an hour away. Do you think that they would be willing to do warranty work? I would have to find a way to transport it over 65 miles :(

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #8  
Based on your unsatisfactory history with your current dealer service dept, I would try another mahindra dealer. If leak issue is still unresolved, then get Mahindra factory rep involved. I am thinking this progression would end up with a problem leak fixed one way or the other.

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #9  
Pic 1 .....That fitting was desighned? to be screwed in until u reached the nothreaded part (where te steelwasher is) and on the inside must be a 0-ring.....then that loose nut must be locked onto the casing ......sqweezing te o-ring !
Remember .......always look for the leak at its highest point !
Pic 3.......can do with sum dowtywashers ......get the right size !

/ Problems with new Mahindra 4035 #10  
Pic 1 .....That fitting was desighned? to be screwed in until u reached the nothreaded part (where te steelwasher is) and on the inside must be a 0-ring.....then that loose nut must be locked onto the casing ......sqweezing te o-ring !
Remember .......always look for the leak at its highest point !
Pic 4 and 5 ......follow that pipe to its highest point !