Problems with the 5145

/ Problems with the 5145 #1  

DaBear3428

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5145
First off not a rant thread about they are junk and don't buy, just an attempt to track things that all of us beta tester of the new model are finding out.

For the record I love my 5145 and only wish i had bought one sooner it does everything i ask of it with ease.

so to start it all off here are the things that i have run into:
1. The fuel filter assembly is in a bad place and prone to damage (fact derive from experience not a guess on my part).
2. My front axle spider gears broke at 20 hours, I'm waiting on information back from the factory on why and the dealer fixed it no problem.
3. The 3pt lowering valve is a funky design and looks like a design mistake (it works fine and how often do you use it anyway?)
4. This thing has grease fittings everywhere even in some places that are unlikely to be greased like under the covers on the 3pt lever and under the floor mat. The floor mat thing is not to bad after you find out how to access it. I do not know that this is a bad thing but new owners should be aware.

/ Problems with the 5145 #2  
Before I bought I knew what I wanted and did not want. I wanted, basically, the same tractor that I had owned and used since 1994, a 1977 Massey 255. I was looking for more comfort and ease of use with easier implement change. I checked out the J.D., Kubota, Yanmar, and New Holland. I would have checked the Massey if there was a dealer within a days drive. When I bought my 5145 I expected human error. I have found very little of that. A leaking hydraulic line is the only problem, so far. It simply needed tightening. I have a grapple w/ no third function. It has hydraulic lines routed to the rear hydraulic connectors., skid steer connect hay spear, 3 point hitch hay spear, pallet fork, 6' rotary cutter, 6' tiller, 6' field rake, heavy duty post hole digger w/12" auger, 7' w/36 position grader blade. On the lift arms I have the Pat's easy hitch. I have added a 3.5" riser to the foot clutch.
I don't have to stop to regen, I don't have a muffler sticking up in the air to tear off with a low limb.
I don't need anymore power nor weight. With ballast in the rear tires it's weight is distributed fine to lift and handle a 5'x6' round bale of hay.
So far I am very happy.

/ Problems with the 5145 #3  
Confederate,

Sorry know this post is a little old but curious where that hydraulic leak you found was located? I just picked mine up and put two hours on so far bushogging and have found a leak on a tubing fitting just behind the starter. Roughly chasing the line down, I believe it goes to the steering ram.

/ Problems with the 5145
Confederate,

Sorry know this post is a little old but curious where that hydraulic leak you found was located? I just picked mine up and put two hours on so far bushogging and have found a leak on a tubing fitting just behind the starter. Roughly chasing the line down, I believe it goes to the steering ram.
I found a hydraulic leak on my fel quick connect, turned out to be a pinched o-ring and easy to fix, also had an issue with the hood release and had to have the dealer fix it, turned out to be dirt in it.

/ Problems with the 5145 #5  
the hood release on my 2538 gives me trouble also and lubing it made it worse , keeping it dry and dirt free was the solution , i now blow it out with air all the time.

/ Problems with the 5145 #6  
Confederate,

My leak was at the same place as DaBear3428 said his was. My dealer fixed it when I had the 50 hour service done.

/ Problems with the 5145
my latest hydraulic leak was on the 3rd function hoses that are the intercepted OEM lines under the battery tray, the dealer did not tidy up the hoses when installing the 3rd function and left them where they could get pinched under the edge of the tray. the stock roughting of the hoses has them under the tractor, i zip tied them out of the way when i fixed the hose. dealer wanted $150 to patch the factory hose, NAPA built a new one for $60. the 2 year bumper to bumper does not cover the FEL. so much for having the dealer do things so far they are batting 1000 (everything they have done has been problematic).

/ Problems with the 5145
the hood release on my 2538 gives me trouble also and lubing it made it worse , keeping it dry and dirt free was the solution , i now blow it out with air all the time.
on the 5100 series there is no way to get to it after it gets dirty except to unbolt the hood latch from underneath.

/ Problems with the 5145 #9  
So far, 30+ hours on my 5155, and I have had zero issues with it. I did have a small leak on one of the hydraulic lines on the FEL, but a quick tighten solved that. I was not watching what I was doing, moving logs in a tight space, and hit a taller stump with my stairs on the left side of my tractor, they got all bent up, but that was the only damage. They still work, but I will replace them soon. I added a canopy to mine, and I added ballast to the rear tires and front tires. I also added the W.R. Long third function kit, and it works like a charm. I use my Mahindra grapple more than anything. I will add a hydraulic top link very soon.

This tractor is a BEAST!!!!
My 5155.jpeg

/ Problems with the 5145 #10  
Brought mine into the dealer and fixed the leak. Pinched O-ring. The latest thing was the PTO safety switch sheared itself from the two mounting bolts while I was thrashing through some ungodly big muscadine vines and scrub. Patched it up and in the same day lost my fuel cap! one of those vines must've slapped that fuel cap and launched it. I installed a new one and used 1/8" braided cable as a tag line instead of the stock plastic retainer. DMack, did you install the grapple kit yourself? Thats next on thew list