Product improvement or planned obsolescense?

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I'm curious if others feel the same as I do concerning tractor model turnover.

I bought my JD 4200 in 2001, and since then JD has issued the 402x series and now the 200x series, and for all I know I may have missed a series or two in the HP range similar to my rig.

My question is; are the manufacturers doing actual product improvement, or is it planned obsolescence? It seems to me that the 4000 series tractors from the 2001 era are fine units and would have benefited from product improvement and evolution instead of product replacement. My rig is a fine unit; but it could use product refinement with time, not product replacement.

After all, tractors, even CUT's are utility vehicles and tools, and not cars trying to capitalize on the latest fads and styling trends. It seems to me the manufacturers could and should exploit a product line before replacing it with another new line. Look at Peterbilt, Kenworth, International and others in that they are still using the same basic cabs as they did in the 1970's; but have refined them over the years to include new technologies worth incorporating. Granted I'm not including the new aerodynamic rigs in my comparison; but the traditional styled trucks.

Roy Jackson will say the JD 790 is a tractor for the owner who wants a 1950's style of JD. I'm sure he is right and there will always be a place for simple value priced units such as the 790; but more modern units should have a longer model lifespan than 2 to 4 years.

It appears the tractor manufacturers have taken a cue from the high tech computer industry in that frequent product model turnover is considered a good thing.

I'm looking forward to hearing what other people think.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #2  
It's all in how you look at things. Myself, I still do 90% of my tractorin' with equipment that is older than a good many of the TBN members. Argueably, you can do things faster, easier, and more comfortably, but push comes to shove, probably no better with new stuff than my oldies. How much faster, easier, or more comfortable does it need to be to justify the expense? As far as I'm concerned, a vast majority of what changes manufacturers do make nowdays is simply "marketing". Some will argue the merits of modern fuel efficient tractors. At what investment is a 5% fuel savings practical to the typical owner? In so far as my years of plodding along indicate to me, a tractor is a tractor is a tractor. New is nice. Old is paid for. Unless I need something BIGGER, (or different) why swap for the sake of keeping up with the Jones?

My $.02 worth.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #3  
I think the technology should be used to create the tractor at a lower cost, and those savings should be passed on to the consumer. But, as we all know, those savings just create more money for the company.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #4  
I think mjncad made some interesting points. A 4 year old tractor is not obsolete. Most of the changes made are just refinements. Just look at the makeup of this board. Many users will wait for the latest models, the latest fads, the latest trinkets. Do they need these, of course not. Many of our users didn't even think of owning a tractor 10 years ago. When they get them, they wax them, worry about if changing the oil at 51 hours vrs 50 hours is a problem, etc. etc. They worry about a new tractor that has 30 hours on it yet they insist that a dealer give them a loaner. To them a 2 year old tractor is not the same as one just manufactured.
I have several tractors ranging from an almost new 6 year old TN75D , a 20 year old Ford 2120 and some much older iron. When I do a job do I care which one I use. No, I use the one that takes the least amount of time to set up. I think changs are made these days because the typical consumer being marketed to today is much closer to a suburban yuppie than a farmer. I read an interesting article in Popular Mechanics a number of years back about the evolution of the surbanite, from push reel mower, to push rotary, to self propelled rotary, to small riding tractor,and now on to diesel CUT's. It concluded these were the same customer base.

Just my thoughts

Andy

Last edited:
   / Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #5  
Intersting topic. I bought a new CUT 2 years ago. The only improvement it has over the Ford 601(vintage 1954) that I used before is the power steering/loader and a cushioned seat. In alot of ways the old Ford is superior and alot of times I use it instead. I won't give up my new tractor, but the old Ford does a **** fine job.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #6  
I think AndyMA hit it on the nail head. I would add one thing, The companies are also trying to make these modern tractors more complicated for the regular joe to work on forcing us to come to them for service as the Auto makers have done.

David

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #7  
Not sure "improvements" are the reason. Do think the Co's have to work harder to stay in place and today there are more offering from more Co's. Gov regulations keep changing and they have to pay attention to the customers desires for features and what they are willing to pay.

Using lawn and garden tractors as an example. The biggest segment of the market is at the lower end and people are wanting models that cost less than I paid for my old Bolens in 1970.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #8  
Like Mickey just said, it isn't as much about improving the product as it is tweaking it to match customer whims. I wouldn't trade my JD 455 garden tractor for anything that has been made since it was discontinued about 5 years ago, and I would think long and hard about trading my 4410 for a newer CUT.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #9  
AndyMA said:
I think mjncad made some interesting points. A 4 year old tractor is not obsolete. Most of the changes made are just refinements. Just look at the makeup of this board. Many users will wait for the latest models, the latest fads, the latest trinkets. Do they need these, of course not. Many of our users didn't even think of owning a tractor 10 years ago. When they get them, they wax them, worry about if changing the oil at 51 hours vrs 50 hours is a problem, etc. etc. They worry about a new tractor that has 30 hours on it yet they insist that a dealer give them a loaner. To them a 2 year old tractor is not the same as one just manufactured.
I have several tractors ranging from an almost new 6 year old TN75D , a 20 year old Ford 2120 and some much older iron. When I do a job do I care which one I use. No, I use the one that takes the least amount of time to set up. I think changs are made these days because the typical consumer being marketed to today is much closer to a suburban yuppie than a farmer. I read an interesting article in Popular Mechanics a number of years back about the evolution of the surbanite, from push reel mower, to push rotary, to self propelled rotary, to small riding tractor,and now on to diesel CUT's. It concluded these were the same customer base.

Just my thoughts

Andy

I think Andy has hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add is that alot of the "Refinements" are cost savings refinements to increase profits. Remember metal fenders, well plastic fenders are cheaper to manufacture.

/ Product improvement or planned obsolescense? #10  
jeffinsgf said:
Like Mickey just said, it isn't as much about improving the product as it is tweaking it to match customer whims.

It's called one upsmanship. It is a marketing game and if a company doesn't play it loses sales. More this and more that. Reliability is not always improved however.