Progress!

/ Progress! #52  
I can remember the feeling Torvy. The profit from the sale of our house in Anchorage completely paid for everything here in Ea WA. We went "top floor" on everything for our new house. The fact was - if we didn't use the profits towards the new house we had to pay capital gains tax on any funds that remained.

Raul-02 - - when we moved down here from Anchorage - I had, also, retired from government service. Sixteen years of being a ***** for the man( public service ). We started our new house the first week of June and it was completed - mid-November of the same year. I will be celebrating 40 years this coming November.

I can honestly say - I NEVER worked such long and hard hours as completing this house. The first thing we did when we moved in - each of us took a long, hot shower in our own house. I still remember - the big 'ol radial arm saw was still set up in the living room. The very next day it was moved to my work shed - the living room was swept/vacuumed clean and the carpet men laid the carpeting in our new living room. The house was then 100% complete.

/ Progress! #53  
Another small step toward progress...the construction loan is finally approved...each holiday made everything take a week longer. Just waiting on the "Course of Construction " insurance, which apparently our insurance company doesn't offer. Getting a couple of quotes, but it seems everyone is dragging their feet. Once we get a quote we can schedule closing and start construction.

The 'loan' is just to get us from now until it is completed. It will be paid off as soon as we sell the city house and move in. Should be $100-150k extra, too.

Less than 30 days until teachers report back to school. Hopefully my last few months of working for someone else.

Congrats!

/ Progress! #54  
I never hear of "Course of Construction" insurance. What is it for?

When I bought my new tractor, I had to switch insurance companies to cover it. Farm Bureau took care of me and I was able to increase my coverage over what I was paying for before, and spend less!!

/ Progress! #56  
The turkey issue has a lot of layers to it. There are no turkeys where I live, and there hasn't been any for decades. The demise of wild turkeys is blamed on farming, chemicals and fire ants. The state has been working on ways to reintroduce turkeys to East Texas for a very long time with total failure. About ten years ago, the tried a new method of mass release of birds in an area of ten square miles or more. First they find an area with habitat that they feel will support turkeys. Then they get all the landowners in that area to agree to allow them to monitor and track the turkeys on their land. Basically allowing them onto their land whenever they want to observe them. Once they block in that 6,400 acres or more, then they will release a hundred birds at a time, over several years. Predators take out quite a few of them right away. Then fire ants are blamed for killing chicks when they first hatch. Those that survive are increasing in numbers, but there is a huge drop from the initial release.
Once an area that has been cleared is left alone, it becomes overgrown with trees right on top of each other. Inches apart, and so thick that it is impossible to get through them. Slowly, as they grow, some of those areas will open up a little, but still too thick for an understory to develop. It is not uncommon to have thousands of trees growing on a single acre. I don't know what the ideal number of trees per acre is for wildlife, or what it was hundreds of years ago, but I'm guessing it should be in the dozens of trees per acre instead of thousands.

Wild Hogs do best in super thick woods. Deer struggle and tend to be at the edge of it, where possible. Deer numbers here vary from one per 40 acres in the thicker areas, to four times that many in more open areas, or even more. On my land, I'm creating open pastures of several acres, with wooded areas that open between the bigger trees with small pockets of thick areas. Since doing this, my deer numbers have increased dramatically. I have two pet turkeys and I've thought about getting more and letting them free roam over my place once I get it fenced. I would love to see flocks of turkeys, and in all reality, the only way it's going to happen is if I make it happen.
When I first moved to where we live now in East Central Illinois there were no turkeys. I'm not sure who reintroduced them, state, county, Pheasants Forever, or a combination of the three, but they are everywhere now. It's not unusual to see 30 or more turkeys together in an open field. They are always in the wooded area around our house and lately they've been standing in the driveway when I come home from work and run along about 100 ft. before finally taking flight up our hill.

/ Progress! #57  
"Course of Construction"
A species of surety bond; sometimes called a performance bond. If things go all to hell during the course of construction you can be insured against those events. Say the backhoe bursts into flames and catches the lumber pile, or a flash flood sweeps the materials away.

/ Progress!
A species of surety bond; sometimes called a performance bond. If things go all to hell during the course of construction you can be insured against those events. Say the backhoe bursts into flames and catches the lumber pile, or a flash flood sweeps the materials away.
It is also known as Builder's Risk insurance. Basically, it covers us if there is theft from the build site....or fire, tornado, whatever. Often it is carried directly by the builder (customer always pays, some directly, some indirectly).

/ Progress! #59  
I never hear of "Course of Construction" insurance. What is it for?

When I bought my new tractor, I had to switch insurance companies to cover it. Farm Bureau took care of me and I was able to increase my coverage over what I was paying for before, and spend less!!
Buildings are most likely to burn down during construction. Blame the plumbers, though PEX has eliminated a lot of solder work. Even so, piles of sawdust, exposed wood, and a cigarette butt can put a crimp in the project. Homeowner insurance will not insure a construction project.

/ Progress! #60  
Thank you. I haven't heard that term used before, but I'm familiar with a Performance Bond.