Project Update and Scissor Lift Question

/ Project Update and Scissor Lift Question
We made a little progress last weekend. Got the first course of roofing steel on, finished the front corners, and put the trim on the first end (wanted to make sure that everything was lining up).

barn10.jpg

We had brutal heat and a lot of wind that really slowed stuff down but progress is progress. Going to build a 20 foot set of fork extensions for the tractor so that I can get the roofing metal up to the roof and not have to strong arm it so I will see how that works out next weekend.

barn11.jpg

/ Project Update and Scissor Lift Question #12  
Is that a lawn chair on the lift?:eek: My boss saw that and he would shoot somebody Or have a baby with corn eyes. Looks great though if you get into a bad camber situation with the lift make a quick platform with mason planks to level out lift just make shure it's fully blocked. I see your kind off level there . It's always nicer to work when your platform is level . Now you got the lawn chair you need a sun shade and a cooler of cold ones.:D:drink:

Is that a lawn chair on the lift?:eek: My boss saw that and he would shoot somebody Or have a baby with corn eyes. Looks great though if you get into a bad camber situation with the lift make a quick platform with mason planks to level out lift just make shure it's fully blocked. I see your kind off level there . It's always nicer to work when your platform is level . Now you got the lawn chair you need a sun shade and a cooler of cold ones.:D:drink:

It is a camping chair that I use to hold the bags of screws and various tools that I need. I got tired of kicking things on the floor of the lift so I just put them in there and at the end of the day fold it up and it grabs everything and keeps it together. Thought about making a tool pouch that hangs on the rail but this works for now. Plus it keeps me from having to bend over so much - back is a little old and stiff. We do keep some 2x6 cribbing wood for leveling the big lift when it is in the dirt, a couple of inches out of level on the ground can put you a couple of feet off the wall at the top. The big Grove lift is almost five feet wide at the tires so it is pretty stable in the dirt. When it was too muddy to drive it, I boomed it down on an equipment trailer and pulled it around with the tractor. A boom lift would be nice, but I don't want to spend 3k a month to rent one.

/ Project Update and Scissor Lift Question #14  
I have so many projects to do that need a boom lift. I just got a genie z34/20 for $5000. Needs a little wiring, but does work. Tires are solid, made for working on flat ground. But I too can move it thru mud with tractor and I have some treated 2x8 to go under wheels to keep level. I was real lucky on this, have been looking for over a year. This person wanted to sale real bad. Started at $7000 and he dropped the price. I like your barn, I wish it was on my place.

I have so many projects to do that need a boom lift. I just got a genie z34/20 for $5000. Needs a little wiring, but does work. Tires are solid, made for working on flat ground. But I too can move it thru mud with tractor and I have some treated 2x8 to go under wheels to keep level. I was real lucky on this, have been looking for over a year. This person wanted to sale real bad. Started at $7000 and he dropped the price. I like your barn, I wish it was on my place.

That Genie looks really useful. I looked at a tow behind like it and they wanted crazy money for it. Tree guys around here seem to snap them up as soon as they go up for sale. The Grove lift that I have was owned by a tree cutter/roofer and it must have had fifty pounds of roofing debris/leaves/sawdust down in the belly of it. He said that he was selling it to get a mini boom lift because he was tired of getting the scissor lift stuck or almost tipping it over in someones muddy yard. He showed me a picture of him on top of a 16' folding ladder on top of the scissor lift (25') in someones back yard trimming trees. Sometimes crazy and stupid are not separated by much.

/ Project Update and Scissor Lift Question #16  
Quick tool caddys we usually make out of scrap plywood make a box then clamp or screw it to the railings . I have taken mason planks and put them length wise across rails and put chop saw and other tools on it. I have seen guys make a tool cady out of scrap gutter and hang that off rail . I'm in a lift so much I fabbed out of 1/8 " stainless that hangs perfectly off of rail no clamps . Everyone that see's it says you should patten it and sell them . There is a company that makes one out of plastic Ariel tool bin is the name they have it on amazon 100$ But if you put your thinking cap on and be creative you can make the same thing out of scraps. Yes bending down sucks . I see guys with **** piled over their lift all day . I have no idea how they work like that . Sometimes when I come back from lunch some one borrowed my lift and left crap allover it I go Chernobyl:punch::pullinghair::drink:

Made a little progress last weekend. I built a 16' long sled that goes on the tractor forks that will let me load the sheet metal in proper orientation with the butyl strips installed directly onto the roof which will make it easy with two people and doable with one. We hit 107 on Friday, 108 on Saturday, and 106 on Sunday which did not help with my productivity. This summer is pure 2020.

We got some work done over the last two weekends but between the extreme temps and 35 mile an hour winds did not get a lot done on the roof. Finished the back wall, put some trim up, and did a lot of general farm work. Amazing how long some things take.

roof1.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof4.jpg

/ Project Update and Scissor Lift Question #19  
Thats some extension.:thumbsup: A little thought into a job makes things go alot easyer. When you do a project that you are not a pro at you don't have all the teckniques and equipment the pros have . I had a amish crew that would throw that up in 2 days . After it,s all done you'll look back and say it was worth it to have the cash in your pocket instead of someone else .Great job !!! :applause: Keep hydrated and have fun with it . My outside projects are waiting for fall . I go out side in morning at 5 and it's 78 and humid I say they can wait for the first morning I can see my breath.:cool2:

Thats some extension.:thumbsup: A little thought into a job makes things go alot easyer. When you do a project that you are not a pro at you don't have all the teckniques and equipment the pros have . I had a amish crew that would throw that up in 2 days . After it,s all done you'll look back and say it was worth it to have the cash in your pocket instead of someone else .Great job !!! :applause: Keep hydrated and have fun with it . My outside projects are waiting for fall . I go out side in morning at 5 and it's 78 and humid I say they can wait for the first morning I can see my breath.:cool2:

The extension is basically a 16' long bench that makes it easy to layout the screw locations before putting it up. I originally looked at hiring the building out turn-key but after talking to a couple of contractors driving $100,000 pickups that idea went out the window. Between them not quoting the features that I needed on it (4/12 pitch on the roof for solar panels and 16' side walls) and wanting to build what they usually build and wanting over $40 a square foot for a standard building I changed plans. Got a "building in a box" kit from a local supplier who was did a good job with the design and then got a local concrete crew to come in and do the slab. After the slab was done and the building kit was delivered the Covid shutdown came roaring in. A neighbor of mine and I spent a couple of weekends and got the big parts of the frame up. Spent the next six or so weekends finishing out the framing, adding extra braces, and fighting the weather.

Before I started I found a couple of local guys who had done barn sheet metal work before and and wanted weekend work hanging the walls and roof, but with all of the layoffs, fear of getting sick, extra unemployment benefits, they disappeared. So it has been a guy from work and me on Fridays and any other extra time I can squeeze in.