Proper power reverser / shuttle usage

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have never had a newer tractor with the power reverser or shuttle or whatever the various brands call it until now. I am talking about the lever on the steering column that lets you shift from forward to neutral to reverse at any speed without stopping or clutching. The lever is really slick and handy for loader work but I am somewhat unsure of the best practices with it.

Say I am just taking off from a stop - is it better to use the clutch like normal and take off or simply just put it in gear and flip the lever from neutral to forward?

Is it really ok to flip the lever at any RPM or is it best to slow the engine first?

Say I am plowing a field. Heavy load, 4WD, high RPM. Does any of the above change? Is it ok to drop the plow, have the lever in neutral, raise RPM to 2500 and flip lever to forward?

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #2  
I would always idle down before shifting. I idle down before clutching my tractors and always have.

I watch a demo at a farm show when I was kid that taught me that. They had a transmission with a plexiglass window in the bell housing. They put a load on the engine and clutched it at high rpm and a big ball of fire would come off the clutch. Then they did it at idle with same load and no sign of heat at all. From that day on I have always idled down.

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #3  
You don't have to have "new" to have a reverser. My 1956 JD-420C has a reverser. ;) It allows me to stop and change direction in any of it's five speeds and reverse (if needed). It's a manual transmission so you do have to clutch it just like changing any gear but there's no need to idle down.

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #4  
My Kubota M7040 with hyd shuttle operators manual clearly states to lower speed when shifting from fwd to rev & vice versa. Lowering engine rpm's/mph reduces stress on damper clutch spring loaded center hub IE higher engine rpm/mph = higher drivetrain stress when changing directions. On hyd shuttle tractors that I'm familiar with foot clutch pedal controls ""a hyd valve"" & doesn't actually control a clutch plate in engine flywheel.

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #5  
I am in the slow the engine for direction change camp too.
If I am doing a bunch of forward/reverse work, I'll set the hand throttle at a low rpm and use the foot throttle. Lifting my foot for rpm drop prior to direction change, then back to the foot throttle to raise rpms.

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #6  
I wonder that too. I guess you can do many things and some will make your tractor last longer.

I just LOVE the LH reverser on my JD 6200. Mostly because F-R is such an easy operation. BUT, I still use the clutch (Thank Goodness WET) ,foot throttle and attempt to be gentle on the drive train at all times. It is an AG tractor, NOT earth Moving Machinery!

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #7  
The main problem that I have after using the left hand reverser for several hours, then getting in my truck, pulling it into reverse and it doesn't move. It just sits there with the left turn signal flashing :oops: .

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #8  
I have never had a newer tractor with the power reverser or shuttle or whatever the various brands call it until now. I am talking about the lever on the steering column that lets you shift from forward to neutral to reverse at any speed without stopping or clutching. The lever is really slick and handy for loader work but I am somewhat unsure of the best practices with it.

Say I am just taking off from a stop - is it better to use the clutch like normal and take off or simply just put it in gear and flip the lever from neutral to forward?

Is it really ok to flip the lever at any RPM or is it best to slow the engine first?

Say I am plowing a field. Heavy load, 4WD, high RPM. Does any of the above change? Is it ok to drop the plow, have the lever in neutral, raise RPM to 2500 and flip lever to forward?
From a stop, engine at idle, I simply flip the lever to the direction I want to go. When changing direction at low rpm I do the same, no pedal. I use the brakes to control tractor movement rather than flip into reverse while the tractor is rolling forward.

When brush cutting I change direction with engine at PTO rpm. But I use the brakes and foot clutch to soften the direction change.

I never flip the lever to engage movement at high rpm with or without load. I always simply select direction with the lever and engage movement with the pedal clutch.

The pedal clutch is also a hydraulic clutch on most if not all hydraulic shuttle tractors.

The pedal clutch is mechanical on my Ford which has a mechanical shuttle.

Maybe I missed it, what make model tractor did you buy?

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #9  
I looked this up in my operating manual for a geared tractor. The instructions say always clutch, 1500 RPM minimum, no maximum given, and don't mention throttling down. The official engine speeds are 970 low idle, 2700 high idle, and 2500 rated.

/ Proper power reverser / shuttle usage #10  
I would always idle down before shifting. I idle down before clutching my tractors and always have.

I watch a demo at a farm show when I was kid that taught me that. They had a transmission with a plexiglass window in the bell housing. They put a load on the engine and clutched it at high rpm and a big ball of fire would come off the clutch. Then they did it at idle with same load and no sign of heat at all. From that day on I have always idled down.
Sometimes a good demostration is worth more than all the words writtten in a manual. Especially if we don't read them.