Properly Maintaining Equipment

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #1  

Stoner

Bronze Member
This morning I sent a note to KingKutter in regards to properly maintaining of my new KingKutter tiller. The note I sent is as follows:

“I recently purchased a KingKutter Rotary Tiller (60 inch). I put the gear oil in the transmission and the gearbox as set forth in the instruction manual. How do you change the oil? I did not see a drain plug to drain the oil. How often should your change the oil in the transmission and the gearbox? Thank you in advance.”

The note I received by from KingKutter is as follows:

“There is no need to change the oil.”

I have never own a three-point tiller that you used behind a tractor. But in every piece of machinery I have own I have always changed the oil. What do you all do in maintaining your transmission and gearboxes on your equipment?

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #2  
I have seen equipment listed both ways. Some are only changed if there is major service/repair, others at given intervals.

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #3  
Stoner said:
This morning I sent a note to KingKutter in regards to properly maintaining of my new KingKutter tiller. The note I sent is as follows:

“I recently purchased a KingKutter Rotary Tiller (60 inch). I put the gear oil in the transmission and the gearbox as set forth in the instruction manual. How do you change the oil? I did not see a drain plug to drain the oil. How often should your change the oil in the transmission and the gearbox? Thank you in advance.”

I have never own a three-point tiller that you used behind a tractor. But in every piece of machinery I have own I have always changed the oil. What do you all do in maintaining your transmission and gearboxes on your equipment?

Hi Stoner,
Well I should start by saying that I dont own a rototiller. The gearbox on my bushog I occassionally check and have added small amounts of gear lube. If nothing is leaking and there is no contamination your gear lube would last a long time IMHO. If a seal detiorates then your going to start loosing fluid. In that case you would need to disassemble the unit to install new seals along with new gear lube.

Some manufacturers' provide a drain plug in the bottom of the gear case, obviously KK does not. I would keep the reply that they sent you in your owners manual in case anything goes wrong in the future ! :)

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #4  
This is just my opinion, but I think we all (the mechanically inclined ones) think first in terms of oil changes. In an engine where there is combustion going one, carbon, constant movement of metal surface against metal surface, etc. it is essential. In an automotive-type tranny where there is frequent engagement ond disengagement of clutch faces and gear trains -- while not as bad as the engine, it makes sense. The gearbox on a tiller or rotary cutter is more like a differential. Constant meshing gears, no clutches, no carbon. I suspect KK figures that by the time that oil would need changing the unit would be pretty well worn out, rusted out deck, etc. Thats from the "contamination" perspective. From the heast perspective, while those gearboxes get "hot" it's nothing like the hot of an engine or even an automatic tranny.

FWIW, I'd still like to see a drain plug. If I ever did have to rebuild/overhaul the thing, I'd like a reasonably neat way to drain the oil out, not just break a seal and have it gush all over the place.

VistanTN

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #5  
VistanTN said:
while those gearboxes get "hot" it's nothing like the hot of an engine or even an automatic tranny.

while that may be true, what they will do is accumulate mosture... as the saying goes... water and oil dont mix and leads to premature gear/bearing/bushing wear.

the boating world use oil suckers to suck the oil out of the fill tube/hole.

you might look into one if your he11 bent on changing it and not cracking the case. else the other obious answer is to drill and tap a drain plug in it.... with oil in the case as soon as you punch through the shavings are pushed back out your new hole thus elimiating the chance of winding up with shavings in the gear box.

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #6  
How many old manual trannys got the gear oil changed? For that matter how many people have their auto tranny oil changes. Probably more now a days with the quicky lube places. But in those cases, they probably only drop the pan and refill, that gets less than half if I recall.

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #7  
I don't change the oil in my gearboxes.
gabby

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #8  
The gearbox is probably mor comparable to a rear differential than anything else on a car/truck. Some of those (older ones) don't have a recomended change. Some Semi trucks have 500,000 miles plus change intervals. And in some cases with synthetic lubes it is fill and forget. I would probably try to change the oil every 400 hours like a lot of tractor transmission and front ends are.

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #9  
Stoner said:

My 72" King Kutter tiller has been over more acres than I can count. I've checked the oil level a few times, but never felt the urge to change it. As long as it's clean and no moisture has collected, leave it be.

/ Properly Maintaining Equipment #10  
I got an air compressor down there in the shop that went 30 years without an oil change.
Bought it new. Ran it for the breakin period. Changed the oil. Then left it.
30 years later it finally broke a rod. I had to rebuild the compressor head.
Put a new rod in it and a crankshaft and some new seals and gaskets.
Runs like new again now. Wonder how long it would go if I changed the oil in every year.
It's an old Sears Craftsman. Cast iron compressor head.

I figure since there is no blow-by like in an internal combustion engine
then there is not that much to contaminate the oil.
Still needs changing periodically tho. Metal wears and moisture condenses.

If it will go another 30 years it will outlast me.

Pooh Bear