/ Property Development #31  
New neighbour doesn’t like the foxes we have roaming around. Makes his dog bark. He know we like seeing them and they keep the rodent population down. Kind of pompous of him to want them dead because it makes the dog bark. Anyway I hope they don’t disappear.

Barking dogs is the main reason I moved to 45 acres. Most people are not responsible enough to own dogs.
I would rather keep the foxes than the neighbors dogs.

/ Property Development #32  
New neighbour doesn’t like the foxes we have roaming around. Makes his dog bark. He know we like seeing them and they keep the rodent population down. Kind of pompous of him to want them dead because it makes the dog bark. Anyway I hope they don’t disappear.
Explain to your neighbor that more foxes = less chance of contracting Lyme disease, if Lyme is an issue where you are.

/ Property Development
Barking dogs is the main reason I moved to 45 acres. Most people are not responsible enough to own dogs.
I would rather keep the foxes than the neighbors dogs.
I agree most are not responsible. He seems to be a responsible animal owner but wants to shoot the fox and everything so he doesn’t have to listen so his dog doesn’t bark. I use to be a hunter so not against shooting for meat but don’t start killing everything around so you don’t have to listen to your dog bark. He has a barn with horses so without the foxes there will be a lot of mice and rats so I suspect poison will be used on the rodents then eagles, bob cat and hawks eat the poisoned rodents and first thing your wildlife disappears. City slicker with not much responsibility to nature and all the great amount of wildlife we have here.

I have to admit some people just leave peeve me off and I would sooner not be around them. That’s why I am building a cabin in the remote water front area of our property.
The development of a 23 acres water front property. I started documenting the project.

/ Property Development
Explain to your neighbor that more foxes = less chance of contracting Lyme disease, if Lyme is an issue where you are.
Great idea. Never thought of that. Didn't know that. I suppose the rodents are infested with Lyme and the fox eats the rodents so helps break the Lyme disease chain.

Last edited:
   / Property Development
Everything matters. I did one piece of property in NewBrunswick. The guy said I heard you were good but I didn't expect to have a 15 acre park. We are still good friends and he still enjoys his cabin property with ample firewood. Most of the trees are still standing because I didn't cut to many away. You cut to many there is no wind break and the rest will sometimes fall down. Thats when the trouble starts. You just ruin habitat for many animals.
We need roads, we need firewood, we need ditching, we need space to build a house but if you manage it well and take profit away from being the priority you can have it all without hurting very much.
on the down side I could of clear cut it all in quicker and would of made more money short term but again I was invite back to do more work for them.

Attachments

• my woods project.jpg
    my woods project.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
   / Property Development #36  
Great idea. Never thought of that. Didn't know that. I suppose the rodents are infested with Lyme and the fox eats the rodents so helps break the Lyme disease chain.
You are correct. The mice are infected with Lyme disease, the ticks feed on the blood of mice, and the ticks are the carriers that pass it to humans.

Also, possums eat a bunch of ticks.

/ Property Development #37  
I agree most are not responsible. He seems to be a responsible animal owner but wants to shoot the fox and everything so he doesn’t have to listen so his dog doesn’t bark. I use to be a hunter so not against shooting for meat but don’t start killing everything around so you don’t have to listen to your dog bark. He has a barn with horses so without the foxes there will be a lot of mice and rats so I suspect poison will be used on the rodents then eagles, bob cat and hawks eat the poisoned rodents and first thing your wildlife disappears. City slicker with not much responsibility to nature and all the great amount of wildlife we have here.

I have to admit some people just leave peeve me off and I would sooner not be around them. That’s why I am building a cabin in the remote water front area of our property.
The development of a 23 acres water front property. I started documenting the project.

I have only killed one animal (Armadillo) since I moved here and that was because it was digging by our bedroom window. I have bats that show up in the evening and installed a nice bat house 20 ft elevation in a clearing but no bats in 3 yrs in the bat house.

I have 40 acres of woods and try to keep it thinned of brush and vines where possible. My belief is to leave the property better than when I bought it.

/ Property Development
If you burn up all the wood on your land what will you do if elect and natural gas are unavailable?

Kidding just a little bit.

It is a real issue and a lot of people can’t change their circumstance.

We have been lucky to have options of reliable electrical power + wood burning stove at the main house but not a huge supply of our own wood.

Second place has plenty of wood but no WBFP or stove (at least not yet anyway) but has reliable electric power (so far) and very reliable natural gas.

But these places are 5 hours apart.
I agree that having options and flexibility makes it easier.

/ Property Development
Well I have not being working on the project much but spring is on it's way. Yesterday morning there were a few cracks in the ice and yesterday afternoon the west wind broke up the ice and sent it on it's journey. In the meantime I am staying busy with making maple syrup. It's great to see the open water again.

In
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.41.33 AM.png

/ Property Development #40  
Really enjoyed watching this video on gathering and boiling maple syrup the old fashioned way with buckets! Seems like most use a tube system here to a collection point/drum.

Takes a lot of sap to make syrup, what is it 2 gallons to make a quart?