/ Property Development #42  
Here in Texas, most of us think of Montana as the extreme North, and where it's too cold to live. Then there is Canada, an entire Country even farther North. It's just amazing to me how you guys deal with winter up there!!!
I never understood how they dealt with the wind chill in Oklahoma!

/ Property Development
I never understood how they dealt with the wind chill in Oklahoma!
I was going to say the same thing about you heat. Don’t get me wrong. There are days that
Here in Texas, most of us think of Montana as the extreme North, and where it's too cold to live. Then there is Canada, an entire Country even farther North. It's just amazing to me how you guys deal with winter up there!!!
I was going to say the same thing about your heat. Don’t get me wrong. There are days that the climate is very painful and the older I get the more painful it becomes. I don’t mind cold and dry. -30 c I’m good but -5 and damp or even just at freezing and damp and raining is what I don’t like. Getting wet with the wind howling then flash freezing with a drop in temp even kills our deer and other animals. It’s brutal.

/ Property Development #45  
Ray.

I feel the same - as I don't mind -5* F (-20C) dry cold is tolerable with crunchy snow cover, but a 30* F - 2C damp, cold wet ground and rain is worse.

We're just starting to get warmer weather here on the NH coast now after a cold spring - buds are starting to show, but it was 40* F yesterday with wind off the ocean and damp makes it feel much colder.

/ Property Development #46  
One summer I had to go to Houston. It seemed like it was still 90 at midnight. I never understood how them Texans could handle the heat. I'll pass.
We can have some hot weather. But we have Air Conditioning and cold beer. 🥵

I like our winters. It can get cold and nasty. But only for a few days every 100 years or so. 🥶

/ Property Development #47  
I was going to say the same thing about you heat. Don’t get me wrong. There are days that

I was going to say the same thing about your heat. Don’t get me wrong. There are days that the climate is very painful and the older I get the more painful it becomes. I don’t mind cold and dry. -30 c I’m good but -5 and damp or even just at freezing and damp and raining is what I don’t like. Getting wet with the wind howling then flash freezing with a drop in temp even kills our deer and other animals. It’s brutal.
Warm coats last forever down here. I wear a winter coat about 10 times during most winters.

/ Property Development
If you burn up all the wood on your land what will you do if elect and natural gas are unavailable?

Kidding just a little bit.

It is a real issue and a lot of people can’t change their circumstance.

We have been lucky to have options of reliable electrical power + wood burning stove at the main house but not a huge supply of our own wood.

Second place has plenty of wood but no WBFP or stove (at least not yet anyway) but has reliable electric power (so far) and very reliable natural gas.

But these places are 5 hours apart.
Man a year ago that was funny. Today the prices are high and there is no guarantee for any energy. Crazy.

/ Property Development
I can't believe it has almost 7 months since I posted. Since my last post the weather here in east coast Canada has incredible with the exception of a hurricane Fiona. Many days are spent putting in roads, trying to be a farmer and trying to be more self reliant. It all doesn't always work out like I planned but for the most part I have been enjoying my now rural life in East Coast Canada. With the oil prices I have been busy harvesting firewood because I can't afford $6000 a year to heat my house; that's if even I can get oil. Crazy times. So I have been working trying to become more self reliant. So kinda as a catch up what I have been up to here is a video.,

Last edited:
   / Property Development
A few years ago I lost power for a week from a winter Ice Storm. At that time, my only way to heat my house was from electricity. Once Summer hit, I bought and installed a wood stove and started cutting and storing firewood. Now my house is only heated from firewood. I feel sorry for everyone that is relying on electricity or natural gas, or oil to heat their homes. If you can get it, what will it cost?
I know this is an older posting but I just started returning to this forum. Man I bet you are some glad you went with wood now. I know here in East Coast Canada the price of oil is about $2.20 a litre. About $10 a gallon. It will cost us about $6000 to heat our house this year if even if we can get it. I know there are places in Europe that they are now allow to turn their heat up past 68 degrees. Man we are living in a different world and it happened very quickly. Good luck and hope everything is working out for you with your wood heat.