Proposed Livestock Identification System

/ Proposed Livestock Identification System #1  

cjlink

If you have ever wanted to have your own chickens, sheep, and cows on your small farm, I strongly urge you to read up on the NAIS (National animal Identification system).

I wanted to pass this information on to you guys as it could have a direct impact to members of our forum.

The USDA along with Big Agribusiness have a bill on the table HB-875 that includes a section on establishing an National animal Identification system. I strongly urge you to read up on the NAIS and to also submit a public comment to the USDA regarding your stance on this bill by March 19th 2009. This bill is clearly aimed at putting small farmers / livestock owners out of business.

The following link contains more information on the bill, and links to submit your own response to the USDA.

Please see the following link
NAIS Threatens Access to Organic, Local and Sustainable Food

John

/ Proposed Livestock Identification System #2  
Thanks for the info- this was idea was kicked around a few years ago but seemed to die a slow death. As it states- this doesn't improve food quality, just more government control over the movement of animals used in consumer consumption. We will see what happens this time.

/ Proposed Livestock Identification System #3  
There have been other posts here about NAIS. Some states have tried to kill it (via lack/minimal implementation) but I think itll make a come back. That is unless enough very vocal opposition is given. Its yet another BI from the Twilight Zone of DC.

/ Proposed Livestock Identification System #4  
Thanks for the heads up, Jlinskey, I have submitted my comments to the USDA. I also agree with Deerguy and Jimg this is just another attempt by the government to gain more control over our lives.

/ Proposed Livestock Identification System #5  
NAIS is yet another program put in place to assure affordable food is a thing of the past.

/ Proposed Livestock Identification System #6  
A few years ago, there was a livestock scam around here with some of the bank's financing cattle that either didn't exist or lending more money against the same number of cows thinking there were more cattle than there were.