Disc Harrow Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Just as the title says can someone explain to me the differences in these two? I'm looking for the best performing disk with weight not being an issue. A 7.5' would be ideal size for me as I'm running a 5610 MWFD cab tractor with loader.

Thank you.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #2  
Offsets are typically used in very heavy duty cutting applications like primary tillage and fire break/forestry management. Offsets probably leave a more rough surface behind them whereas the tandems can be set to leave a more fine finish behind. Perhaps others can chime in but I believe the offsets also pull harder than a comparably sized tandem.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #3  
   / Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #4  
Just as the title says can someone explain to me the differences in these two? I'm looking for the best performing disk with weight not being an issue. A 7.5' would be ideal size for me as I'm running a 5610 MWFD cab tractor with loader.

Your questions inevitably involve your location and tractor. FILL IN YOUR T-B-N PROFILE.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #5  
Your questions inevitably involve your location and tractor. FILL IN YOUR T-B-N PROFILE.

His question is regarding differences in disc harrows? His location doesn't matter.

His tractor model is specifically stated in his post?

What is the purpose of your all caps comment demanding him to fill in his profile? There is no need for him to do so, maybe he just doesn't want to, or doesn't know how to?

Regardless, your post comes off as unnecessarily rude and blatantly disrespectful.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #6  
I have a 10' tandem Bush hog leveling harrow with 22" disc blades and I just purchased an almost 9' offset harrow with 24" disc blades and they both have there place, I have gotten by with the leveling harrow for a while it is adjustable and does a good job you just have to make a lot more passes over the field to get it ready, the offset is a much more aggressive cut and will sometimes only take one pass across the field to get it ready, I just got one of my fields ready for millet this afternoon with one pass with the offset, I will broadcast the seed and fertilizer in a week or two and will use the 10' leveling harrow with a railroad iron drag to turn it in , so I like having one of each, but if I could have only one I would go with the tandem leveling harrow. Charlie.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #7  
i have a tandem for the old allis chalmers CA tractor. and right in the middle i end up getting a line that does not get hit.

if anything separates anything, it would be the stinking "adjustment" for how much angle you want. that you should pay attention to. seen way to many large size bolt / screw adjustments get totally bent to point you can not adjust anymore, and/or become rusted up that screw/bolt like action for adjustment becomes nearly impossibly. and then there are ones with bolts/pins were there is no bushing inside the holes. so you end up wobbling out the holes and/or bending bolts that you need to cut out due to bent to much to pull out. U bolts / muffler clamp like bolts. will want to slide out of adjustment. give me something with pre-drilled holes, and bolt with bushings in the holes. so what ever angle i want i can set it to. within a few degrees of angle. (how ever the holes end up and spaced nicely on the frame)

some folks want the discs nice and straight and parallel with tires, other folks want the discs and a much steeper angle. (depends on usage/wants)

some folks want extra weight to get everything to sink down into the dirt.

some just take factory set welded angle and deal with the disc how ever it is setup.

cleaners (mini shovel per say located on top side of disc) can be rather nice to remove clumps that can stick to the discs.

larger the disc is, more likely it will have hydraulic gauge wheels/transport tires to raise/lower unit. due to 3pt hitch and weight on rear end up end up with front tractor tires off the ground when trying to lift it out of the ground.

type of discs from full circle, to more of cut out / teeth of the discs can also matter in what you are wanting todo /use it for.

if you ever need to replace any sort of bearings, and/or pending on how things are greased at bearings. this can matter a lot. some times you got grease zerks or less non or broken off, other times you drop entire rod and discs and all, and pull everything off... can be easier or a nightmare pending on size/setup.

if you are dealing with forest / trails in woods, to rocks in the soil. to not field but off field usage were their is uneven terrain. i have hung disc up before on roots and rock, causing rest of disc to "hang up per say" as one side raised up and over.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow
Thanks guys. I'm going with a offset as I have a Brown 6' tandem now. Looking at a heavier 6'10 Athens model 97 or a 7'6 Brown. Trying to decide which way to go.

/ Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #9  
IMG_20170411_193118940.jpgIMG_20170411_193146767.jpg
Thanks guys. I'm going with a offset as I have a Brown 6' tandem now. Looking at a heavier 6'10 Athens model 97 or a 7'6 Brown. Trying to decide which way to go.
I just priced out those same two except both were in the 7'6" range and the Brown was around $3,800.00 naked, no scraper kit, the Athens was quite a bit more, can't remember exactly but it hurt my feelings, I wound up buying a pull type Industrias America 8'9" with scraper kit for less than 3k and I am very happy with it. Good luck with whatever you go with. Charlie.

Last edited:
   / Pros\cons of tandem vs offset disc harrow #10  
I have a small, light weight tandem. Wish I had a Brown 7'6" offset. Just looking at the specs/requirements on the Brown web site - offset requires more HP to pull than an equivalent tandem. Offset does leave the field in a rougher condition but like anything offset, it would allow you to get closer to things - fence line, buildings, etc. From what I've seen - if you will be tilling virgin land the offset would be what you want.