Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers?

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have about 1,000 feet of pine seedlings ( in 2 parallel rows. 1,000 feet long) that I need to keep snowmobilers off of this winter.

I know that I can go buy posts and snow fencing. Problem is, I think I'll need to run fencing on each side of the trees or sure as heck they'll ride right over them. No trespassing signs alone won't keep them off.

That's a lot of money into fencing and posts. Anyone have any ideas for a less costly solution? I can't stretch a rope on each side because they won't see it and someone will hit it. Just looking for some suggestions here.

Thanks!

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #2  
I use wooden stacks (2x2s) and a roll of caution tape. The caution tape is cheap and highly visable. As far as safety, if someone still plows through it the tape snaps easy and won't take anybodys head off.

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #3  
Barbed wire 36" off the ground pulled tight by a garage door spring extended to double its length.

You'll get a few helmets out of this, too.;)

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers?
Barbed wire 36" off the ground pulled tight by a garage door spring extended to double its length.

LOL! Somehow I think the family of the guy would get a better trade then the helmet I would get!

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #5  
zzvyb6 said:

oooooorr..... land mines??!

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #6  
I like the idea of caution tape, inexpensive, and breakaway stakes. Keeps the honest sledders aware and limits your liabilities and costs with the others. There will always be others.

MarkV

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #7  
I do not envy you guys and the litigious society you live in....

I like many, many things about America, especially now that your Commander in Chief is able to exit off the side of the stage where the door is unlocked, but the concept of having to worry about being sued for protecting your property blows my mind!!

Hot coffee anyone??

-Jer.

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #8  
I do not envy you guys and the litigious society you live in....

I like many, many things about America, especially now that your Commander in Chief is able to exit off the side of the stage where the door is unlocked, but the concept of having to worry about being sued for protecting your property blows my mind!!

Hot coffee anyone??

-Jer.

Happens in Canada as well. Kid riding his dirt bike at night with no lights runs into a gate on privately owned property, he is trespassing. Yep, you guessed it, off to the lawyer :mad: they go. Happened a few miles from us. He was badly hurt but his fault. Good thing is he didn't get a nickel. :thumbsup:

Like the idea of the caution tape attached to stakes every 50-100 ft, probably the cheapest and safest way to go. :)

/ Protecting seedlings from snowmobilers? #9  
As a member of a snowmobile club it's volunteers would put up stakes and tape for land owners when they were aware of this type situation.

Contact your local club and I bet they will be over!