PT-425 Aux circuit QCs

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #1  

BigDaddyEureka

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere, Power-Trac
These things are HORRIBLE. Specifically these are the smaller of the two sets of the connectors used for (a) locking and unlocking implements and (b) operating third functions like a blade.

• Park machine.
  • Remove QCs from blade.
  • ATTEMPT to put QCs on lock/unlock circuit....
  • FAIL!

I got ONE of the &%&!@# things on but the other one is having none of it after...

1. Clean the male end
  2. Clean the female end
  3. Make sure pressure is bled off by pushing in on BOTH nipples
  4. Lube both connectors
  5. Rinse and repeat these steps many, many times...:mad:

I'm stumped. The balls are all free to move, but the connector almost feels like it's got no clearance to push the female (coming from the tool lock cylinder) onto the male (which comes from the machine's control valve).

The way the OTHER one got on was by starting the machine and working the control level back and forth while another helper wiggled the connector on. Didn't work on the other side though.

I'm like >>this close<< to replacing all the quick connectors with just a union and bolting and unbolting the #@%^ circuit every time 'cause it would certainly be faster than all this monkey motion!

*sigh*

All ideas welcome!

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #2  
When I have troubles with that, I turn the machine off and I hit the centers with a flat punch and hammer. That bleeds the pressure.

If that doesn't work, I've found grit in the ring that you pull back to let the balls retract on the email connector. So a thorough cleaning of the female connector did the trick.

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #3  
Oh, I recall that one of the set screws that holds the hose/connector in the metal tube on the FEL arm backed out and the connector moved back towards the tube just a bit, which kept me from pushing the connector on. I loosened the set screw and moved the connector hose forward in the tube about 1/4" and tightened the set screw. That resolved that issue at that time.

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #4  
I do like Moss said hit the center of both the male and female fittings with a hammer and I use a bolt. Sometimes I have to repeat it several times. If the weather is warm is when I usually have the most trouble with the attachment

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs
Thanks all - I'll try popping the centers of both sides again tomorrow and see if that does the trick. Can't hurt to clean the things one more time either.

Thank you for the quick response!

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #6  
Thanks all - I'll try popping the centers of both sides again tomorrow and see if that does the trick. Can't hurt to clean the things one more time either.

Thank you for the quick response!
Sounds like a plan. Also, be sure to check that clearance where the connector sticks out of that metal tube on the FEL arms. That set screw that holds the connector in place had me head scratchin for quite a while, as I recall.

Good luck. (y)

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #7  
Sorry to hear that you are having issues. It is almost certainly a hose with too much residual pressure. I couple all my M/F hoses together to keep them clean and equalize the pressure, but for the Q/A fittings there isn't much you can do beyond the small metal rod and a hammer. (You might want to wrap the rod in a paper towel or rag, as oil will spray out).

I have learned the hard way that for my 4n1, I have to shut the tractor off, cycle the Q/A circuit, then disconnect the Q/A hoses from the tractor plate, and attach the 4n1 bucket hoses. I have also learned to do the same in reverse. Park the 4n1 blade on a flat surface, stop the engine, cycle the Q/A lever a few times, and then disconnect the bucket and attach the Q/A hoses, then start the engine, and drop the bucket.

FWIW: I do clean the outer sleeve/inner ball area with brake cleaner. Mostly, I have gone to using "green" brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) to clean all of the hydraulic fittings. It is quick, it gets dirt out of the fitting better than I can, and washes grime off the surrounding sleeve as well. Yes, it probably adds to my local VOC levels, but not in a significant way.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #8  
Hmm, I use the same process as Ponytug on my 1460 for my 4 in 1 bucket? If not, I have residual line pressure and I cannot get the fittings to connect. Seems to help to have the bucket really flat and level when dropping/connecting.

/ PT-425 Aux circuit QCs #9  
About the only time I have the issue is if the connectors get sand in them (we have a lot of sand), or I disconnect and implement and park it or the tractor in the sun. Bright sun seems to make the fluid expand. So I try and drop implements in the garage or in the shade if I'm out in the field.