PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy??

/ PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy?? #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
If I buy a new 1430 I would like a grapple and trying to decide between the two. :confused:
The cost is $500 more for the 54" grapple bucket but it can be used to dig and move earth products, (and used as small wheel barrel).
The utility grapple seems like it will slide under and pick larger quantities of brush better and maybe pry out objects from the ground (maybe I will slightly reinforce it before putting to work).

Intended use is for moving rocks (digging/prying/pushing out of ground), fallen tree remains, brush from firewood cutting, etc. Visibility is very important so as not to damage the area around the object to be picked. Note: on my PT180 I can see the cutting edge from the driver's seat and it is very easy to use to get under things. Thinking this might hold true with the 1430 and grapple bucket?

If I get the grapple bucket it might not move brush as well but since it can move gravel I don't have to buy a regular bucket. But this brings the problem of a very small bucket for carrying everything else. (One thing is when I bought my PT180 the light material bucket works great for everything! Don't know why they would offer a smaller one.)
When an opportunity comes along I could pickup an old light material bucket and weld on the PT adapter to eventually get by with the initial smaller 54" G-bucket.
Sorry for thought going all over, but any advice would be appreciated.

I want to stay with the PT brand grapple if I go that route over the GB.

/ PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy??
Some pics to refresh your memory

Attachments

• diesl with grapple bucket.jpg
    diesl with grapple bucket.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 3724_full.jpg
    3724_full.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 20021@2x.jpg
    20021@2x.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 247
   / PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy?? #3  
My large material bucket is 10 cubic feet. My small rock bucket is 5 cubic feet. I bought the teeth for it as well. It is a LOT stouter than the large bucket. I use both. The large one does not excavate well in hard soil. The small one does. Looking back on my purchase, I would have stayed with the large bucket and purchased the grapple bucket instead of the small bucket with teeth. The grapple bucket at the time was (maybe still is) the exact same bucket as the small bucket, but it came with teeth and the grapple. That would have been the most bang for my buck.

What I really wish for, though, is a removable single finger grapple on pallet forks. THAT would be about perfect for moving brush! :thumbsup:

/ PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy?? #4  
The utility look good for brush, but I’ve moved tons of brush,rocks and gravel with the grapple buckets. Your still welcome to check out the 1430 and attachments.

/ PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy?? #5  
When I had the rock grapple installed - I've never gone back to a bucket. It's been almost six years now. My grapple is Land Pride SGC 1560 - 60" & 820#. I don't have any gravel and move dirt by - wide open grapple - straight down on the ground - close grapple and relocate the wad of dirt wherever. I mainly relocate LARGE rocks and chunks of my ancient Ponderosa pine. Occasionally I gather limbs from downed pines.View attachment 621908

/ PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy?? #6  
When I had the rock grapple installed - I've never gone back to a bucket. It's been almost six years now. My grapple is Land Pride SGC 1560 - 60" & 820#. I don't have any gravel and move dirt by - wide open grapple - straight down on the ground - close grapple and relocate the wad of dirt wherever. I mainly relocate LARGE rocks and chunks of my ancient Ponderosa pine. Occasionally I gather limbs from downed pines.View attachment 621908

Those are nice but to heavy for a PT1430 I think. 850# wouldn’t leave much weight capacity.

The utility look good for brush, but I’ve moved tons of brush,rocks and gravel with the grapple buckets. Your still welcome to check out the 1430 and attachments.

Any chance you will around some time on the 27th? I will going to the Kent antique engine show weather permitting.

I have an Anbo root rake that looks like yours for my M6040. But looking over the hood of the Kubota means kind of operating blind for small (200-300 lb) rocks, but it works great on car size brush piles! The configuration (shallow forward facing lower teeth with a upper jaw that clamps down) is basically similar to Power Tracs grapple bucket. Thanks for the reply

/ PT 54" grapple bucket vs the 29" utility grapple which to buy?? #9  
Any chance you will around some time on the 27th? I will going to the Kent antique engine show weather permitting.

I should be around but always good to check closer to when your coming.

Hi RegL,

How does your Friday look for showing your PT? I am planning on going to the Kent antique engine and tractor show. Thanks, John.

86O-3O1-9637