PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine

/ PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine #12  
Regarding the battery question, I had the same problem last summer when I first got my tractor. Looked into getting an Optima battery but I seem to recall they were too big. I went with an AGM battery, designed for wheelchairs, from Sears. Also, I installed a homemade heat shield over the battery consisting of Styrofoam covered in aluminum flashing. This combination has worked perfectly. Here’s the original post: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac&Number=158369&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=marrt&Match=Username&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=155334> Link </A>.

/ PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine #13  
Marrt,

Have not heard from you in a while. How are things going with your PT. I think you have the newer design muffler as well. How is it working and holding up?

Duane

/ PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine #14  
Marrt,
That original post that you linked to made an impression on me at the time because I was having corrosion/battery/starter problems too w/my Cub, and I was determined to eliminate that problem on my "new" tractor...(whatever it was).
If the Optima is too big, then I'll have to defer to a different brand (but an AGM to be sure).
AGM's have different charging requirements (lower) than lead acid's but the spec eludes me for now...The Robbin engine has a std charging system of 15A(20A opt.) should be plenty for lights, bells and whistles that I want.

The 12.3vdc that you measured sounds a little low for charger o/p, but I don't know Kohlers spec. You ,definately, exercised good "technique" in isolating(from heat) a spill-proof battery in a very tough battery environment...My goals ,too.

Sounds like the "deep-cycle" battery you're using for "starting" will last a LONG time due to low impact starts and almost no "discharge" cycle.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine #15  
Follow up on the battery talk...just found this...can't vouch for credibility but the general idea is valid...
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rversonline.org/ArtAGM.html>http://www.rversonline.org/ArtAGM.html</A>

/ PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine #16  
Duane and bmkar,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Had some family illness and have been very busy.

So far, I have about 70 hours on the tractor and have had no further problems since the battery issue. Still don’t know if the battery overheated or the caps on the battery were just loose.

I’ve made a few additional mods since replacing the battery (added extra lights under the canopy, added a heavy duty air filter with a precleaner, added a combination hour/RPM meter when the original meter got wet and quit). I do have the “new style” muffler and it works fine. It’s very heavy duty and I think will last the life of the tractor.

I’m very satisfied with my purchase so far. You wouldn’t believe the amount of dirt I dug and moved with this little tractor to make room for my new deck. I was amazed. Will try to get some pictures maybe. Later.

/ PT designed muffler for the 425 Kohler engine #17  
marrt,

...family first...hope all is well.

What air filter did you add...pictures??? Did the replacement hour meter/tach go in the same location...from where...muffler pics??

Glad to hear that you're pleased w/ tractor performance...I can't wait...