PT Road Use

/ PT Road Use #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
I was wondering how many of you feel safe going short distances with your PT on a main road. Does anyone ever drive down a black topped country road to help with snow removal, or that sort of thing? Of course with flashing lights and the large orange triangle.

Do you feel the slow speed and small size is unsafe, and or a nuisance to traffic. Has anyone done this on a regular basis? Would you feel more comfortable doing this with say, a home made plug in steel rear bumper guard for car impact. This would also be tall enough to guard up to the back, and head area.

I have thought of maybe making some sort of heavy steel tube guard for rear operator protection that would plug into the rear hitch with additional mounting to the upper body of the PT for some added bumper rear impact protection.

There are times I would like to help people out during heavy snow storms, but I am hesitant because of cars sliding up and down the road or coming around a corner to fast. Wondering if I am the only one that has thought of this.:rolleyes:

/ PT Road Use #2  
The farthest I travel on the road is across the front of my property. It is really too slow to take down the road any distance. I've thought about driving it over to the kid's school, about 3/4 mile away, but decided to trailer it instead.

I also think you should check local laws regarding slow moving equipment onthe road. There may be requirements for the SMV triangle, flashing lights, etc...

Around my neighborhood wouldn't be too bad because we have wide gravel shoulders, but out at our property there is nothing but highway. I don't even like mowing next to the highway, let alone drive on it. I always worry about what would happen if the thing would die in the road. How would I get it out in time, as it can't be pushed since there isn't a neutral. I would have to get a wrench and loosen the by-pass on the variable volume pump. Too scary for me to want to try. :eek:

/ PT Road Use
Around here the laws don't seem to apply to anyone. People aren’t allowed to do any shooting here on the mountain, they do it anyway. I called the local cops about the shooting one time, it took them over 1/2 hour to get here. By then, the shooting had stopped. So much for our laws.

We have an ADT system; I hope no one ever breaks in while I’m not here. Our local law enforcement is a big joke. ATV'S keep screaming up and down the main roads. I know that can't be legal. You did just reaffirm my one of my fears. Having to wrench the release valve and towing, as you say, what if it stopped in the middle of the road or something. We don't have any shoulders mostly just road with embankments and trees.

I don't have a trailer at the moment. I would have to haul it back chained to the lawn tractor or my truck. Your probably right, I’ll just stay on my property. Thanks for the input.

/ PT Road Use #4  
" I have thought of maybe making some sort of heavy steel tube guard for rear operator protection that would plug into the rear hitch with additional mounting to the upper body of the PT for some added bumper rear impact protection. "

Berry, to put it in perspective, A stock PT would be much safer in a collision than a bicycle and there are plenty of those around here, some riding two or three abreast. A lot of them can be real belligerent about moving over for cars.So I don't feel guilty about driving up and down the road when I have work to do. I usually don't drive it more than a mile, more than that I'll load it on the trailer. In the winter I use a strobe for plowing driveways but in summer I usually just turn on the rear light. I've been thinking of repainting the PT something like a screaming yellow. Red and flat black is getting kind of blah.

/ PT Road Use
RegL said:
" I have thought of maybe making some sort of heavy steel tube guard for rear operator protection that would plug into the rear hitch with additional mounting to the upper body of the PT for some added bumper rear impact protection. "

Berry, to put it in perspective, A stock PT would be much safer in a collision than a bicycle and there are plenty of those around here, some riding two or three abreast. A lot of them can be real belligerent about moving over for cars.So I don't feel guilty about driving up and down the road when I have work to do. I usually don't drive it more than a mile, more than that I'll load it on the trailer. In the winter I use a strobe for plowing driveways but in summer I usually just turn on the rear light. I've been thinking of repainting the PT something like a screaming yellow. Red and flat black is getting kind of blah.
So you take yours out on the road? A mile is about all the distance I would need to go. I have seen a few Bobcat skid steers running around our roads every once in a while, and they are pretty darn slow. I have also seen a few lawn tractors running around. If our roads had somewhere to pull off I might be more inclined to take er out. Like Moss said, if it breaks down then it's not an easy tow.

/ PT Road Use #6  
I have driven my 1430 several miles down country roads for one reason or another. Have had no problems. No different than driving a lawnmower or skidsteer.

I would agree though, most of the time it is best to transport on a trailer

/ PT Road Use #7  
I do about 200 yards at most to a neighbors. Once I did about 2 miles, but will probably not do that again. I have a triangle on back and a strobe light on top. I also so have other reflectors all around it. I turn on the strobe when I get near a road such a mowing. I also have side view and rear view mirror (highly recommended) I have a bumper on the back which should help a little, however if a 4000 pound car going 40 mph hits a 1400 pound PT going 8 mph, the PT driver would probably die or wish he had. Cars come up fast when you are going 8 mpg so all of it seems risky. If a solid white cat can hit on a straight section, a PT can too.

/ PT Road Use
BobRip said:
I do about 200 yards at most to a neighbors. Once I did about 2 miles, but will probably not do that again. I have a triangle on back and a strobe light on top. I also so have other reflectors all around it. I turn on the strobe when I get near a road such a mowing. I also have side view and rear view mirror (highly recommended) I have a bumper on the back which should help a little, however if a 4000 pound car going 40 mph hits a 1400 pound PT going 8 mph, the PT driver would probably die or wish he had. Cars come up fast when you are going 8 mpg so all of it seems risky. If a solid white cat can hit on a straight section, a PT can too.
Or a 6000 pound pickup truck, which is what you see around here most of the time. Yep, it could be a little unnerving. At least an ATV can get up to speed.

/ PT Road Use
menchhofer said:
I have driven my 1430 several miles down country roads for one reason or another. Have had no problems. No different than driving a lawnmower or skidsteer.

I would agree though, most of the time it is best to transport on a trailer
You wouldn't catch me out there on a lawnmower, but a skid steer at least has some good protection.

/ PT Road Use #10  
Barryh said:
I was wondering how many of you feel safe going short distances with your PT on a main road. Does anyone ever drive down a black topped country road to help with snow removal, or that sort of thing? Of course with flashing lights and the large orange triangle.

Do you feel the slow speed and small size is unsafe, and or a nuisance to traffic. Has anyone done this on a regular basis?

When I first got my 1845 I would regularly take it three or four miles from home for various tasks, feeling I'm no more vulnerable than the numerous pedestrians and bicyclists who have taken over the country roads here abouts (and have decided - contrary to law in the case of pedestrians - it's unnecessary to yield to traffic (careful Sedgewood - I smell a rant coming on...)). Since those heady early days I've suffered so many failures (hydraulic hoses, fuel solenoid, electrical gremlins, fire, etc) that stopped the PT dead in its tracks I'm pretty skittish about even crossing the road :)

Sedgewood

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2022 Great Plains Turbo Max (A34573)
2022 Great Plains...
New 10' Work Bench with 18 Drawers & 2 Cabinets (A34302)
New 10' Work Bench...
1993 John Deere 4960 MFWD Tractor (A33113)
1993 John Deere...
NEW 2 CUBIC YARD TRASH HOPPER SCRAP RECYCLING EQUIPMENT (A34907)
NEW 2 CUBIC YARD...
KAESER AIR COMPRESSOR... (A34808)
KAESER AIR...
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Truck (A34573)
2007 Chevrolet...