PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #1  

BWSwamper

Bronze Member
Tractor
PowerTrac
I had a hose burst on my PT1850 while mowing a few days back. The first symptom was that reverse disappeared, but it still moved forward. Then mower stopped, so I shut it down realizing she was bleeding to death.

Turns out it is hose #26 in the diagram running from the main system pump up to the left front wheel motor. This is an 86 inch long 3/4 inch hose. This one is routed so that it lies on the bottom of the rear half "tub" and wore through at just the point where the hose rubs on the tub bottom as the machine articulates.

I haven't replaced this particular type of hose before, but I figure the right angle fitting at the wheel motor is part of the crimp fitting. If this correct, the hose must be slid out the front since the other end at the pump is a straight fitting.

If this is the case, then I can't use the old straight coupler trick to attach the old and new hoses and use the old hose to help pull the new hose into place, snaking through the current routing through the midsection. Does anyone have any tips on what to do in this case?

My solution at this point is to tie some of the flat, lubricated utility line rope to the pump end fitting as it goes out, and then use the rope to help pull the new hose into place from the front end back.

I do plan to put some protective spiral hose wrap at the suspected rub point to reduce the wear on the new hose.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #2  
I had a similar issue with installing new throttle/choke cables. I used a pull cord on the far end, pulled the cables out, tied the cord onto the new end, taped it up to make a nice, smooth pulling cone, and pulled the new cables in.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #3  
@BWSwamper sorry to hear about the burst hose.

I would be very tempted to get in there with a die grinder and grind it flat before replacing the hose. If you can't, I would think about a big piece of 1/8" fiber reinforced gasket material stuck to the floor to cover up the offending bit of steel.

I wrapped all of the hoses that were either out front, or lying on the tub floor with nylon hose wrap (1", and 1/2" nylon for the most part) when I first got my tractor. It has worked great. I see a few paint rubs, but the hoses are doing ok. Well, the PTO hoses are starting to crack from UV, but that is a different issue.

x2 on using pull tape, though I have used metal fish tape to pull things through the tunnel. I would try to pull the other hoses up and out of the way to clear space. I would also use a wire lube that is rated for rubber (some, but not all, are).

All the best,

Peter

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #4  
One other note, don't know if this applies to your machine or not. When I went to pull my throttle and choke cables out of my PT425, I found they were tie-wrapped to all of the hoses at several locations. As I recall, it was quite a bit of struggle to cut those wraps that were down the tunnel a ways.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #5  
Depending on the damage of the choke/throttle cable, a person may only need to change out the center portion/wire and leave the outer shell in place (if the outer portion is undamaged). Then just pull out the old (presumably broken center and feed in the replacement).

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #6  
They were rusted and could not move. I also think the outer shield was pinched.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #7  
I have ruptured this hose twice. What I did was a bought a 3:4” 90 that I put on the wheel motor. Then I had the hoses made straight. It’s a bit tight but it works. I use a male to male connector to join the two hoses. I use the old hose to pull the new hose through. Also on the sharp edges I got some pipe protectors and put them over the sharp edges of the tunnel.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #8  
I had a similar wear spot up front where my front hose exited the tub. I put some split black poly pipe around the edges, so the hose would run thru it, so far so good, been 5 years now.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #9  
Just wanted to reitterate, if you have a cutlist you can premake your hoses, and use the old hose to pull the new hose through. Works way better than fishtape. I have a collection of male to male connectors just for this purpose.

/ PT1850 Burst Hose Replacement #10  
I have ruptured this hose twice. What I did was a bought a 3:4” 90 that I put on the wheel motor. Then I had the hoses made straight. It’s a bit tight but it works. I use a male to male connector to join the two hoses. I use the old hose to pull the new hose through. Also on the sharp edges I got some pipe protectors and put them over the sharp edges of the tunnel.
On using a 90 on the wheel motor, afterwards, could you tell any difference in the power of moving forward / reverse?