PT422 Stump Grinder Improvements

/ PT422 Stump Grinder Improvements #11  
The old PT stump grinder I have is an animal - I did about 40 stumps early on. First thing I did was to reverse it. I am happy with it but I like the newer design with removable teeth.

Ken

/ PT422 Stump Grinder Improvements #12  
I count on my stump grinder for roots, stumps and some drainways. It's not a wimp by any means... But it's design and power are suitable for specific purposes.

6' stump is ambitious for a Swiss army knife stump grinder like ours. Dressing an elk is also ambitious, though I guess possible, with an actual Swiss army knife. (avoid the temptation to mentally picture the PT stump grinder applied to field dressing an elk) <--oops.:licking:

But with multi tool expectations... Green wood and small bites I regularly make short work of lots of stuff. It's so small and versatile, it's w my 425 on every job I go to... Angled right, on roots or well prepared stumps , the chips shoot right under the PT. Raise it to high or tilt the qa too forward and you have a machine gun full of wood chips at yourself. ;)

/ PT422 Stump Grinder Improvements #13  
For those of you that do have success using your stump grinder, how about making a video of you doing so the next time you are grinding a stump? I really enjoy and learn from viewing "how to" videos. I wish there was a section on the PT Forum that housed videos of the PTs in use. Also I would like to see a video of the core aerator being used. This is another attachment that I have had a hard time getting to work properly.
Thanks
Frank

/ PT422 Stump Grinder Improvements #15  
I have a stump grinder for the PT and I also had a Ventrac stump grinder that the dealer showed me a demo on. Basically, you start grinding at the far end of the stump and only turn left and right until the stump is chewed away at that point. Then back up a couple inches; left and right again until your at the other end off the stump. So, your just taking off a small layer, then drive forward and take another layer off. Your only taking off about 3/4 at a time with a smaller machine. An ash tree stump I just done and could only remove about an 3/4 in a swath. Another thing, the visibility is always lousy, so I learned to cut the stump by feel. If your taking too much off, you値l know it! There痴 a fine vibration that goes through the machine when I知 at the right depth and speed of turning the machine in the left /right direction.

Last edited:
   / PT422 Stump Grinder Improvements #16  
All my videos are from the driver's seat so all you see is the FEL swinging back and the chips flying so not very interesting.

Ken