pto clutch/hyd??

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i guess i didn't understand how the pto on my M4900 is suppose to work...it has a lever on the right to engage the pto, i think its hyd. controlled..but i "thought", if i pushed the clutch in, the pto would stop. it doesn't seem to do that, so i "assume", and yes i know what "assume" stands for, the only way to shut it off is to move the lever to off..i'm not sure i like that method..when i want to stop the sucker quickly, my first action is to hit the clutch...then i wonder, "why didn't that thing stop, oh, yeah..i have to move this lever"..maybe it will just take some getting use to??
heehaw

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #2  
My L4300 has what is called an "independent hydraulic PTO" This means that it is independent of the clutch. If you have a heavy spinning implement attached (brush cutter), it can take a while for it to stop once it is disengaged. I too wonder what will happen in an emergency as even with a total engine shut down, it will still spin. I know this 'cause I got into some barbed wire and the brush hog just kept spinning and spinning. Took me an hour to cut all that wire off. Add this to the list of "things I have learned".

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #3  
Rick, I think you'll find the "live independent" PTO, like yours, is the most common on the larger tractors. I guess I just never considered it to be a problem. You'll learn to slap that lever back pretty quickly if you need to disengage it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #4  
heehaw
The M4900 does indeed have a hydraulic independent PTO which means that you don't have to clutch to engage or disengage. Like Bird says, you can reach back and shut it off pretty quick if you need to.
Lewis

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #5  
i think u might have found the the differenc between live pto and independent pto. but i may be wrong!

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #6  
Hi
Been thinking about the PTO issue and the need or lack of need for using a clutch. If the clutch controlled both the pto and the drive train then every time you would shift or take the tractor out of gear the pto would power down...the reverse would be true...if you wanted to throw the pto out of gear you would slow or stop forward movement. Guess you are damned if you do or don't....

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If the clutch controlled both the pto and the drive train then every time you would shift or take the tractor out of gear the pto would power down...the reverse would be true...if you wanted to throw the pto out of gear you would slow or stop forward movement. )</font>

Some tractors have a "2-stage" clutch; with this clutch design as the clutch pedal is released the PTO clutch engages first followed by the transmission clutch. This allows the operator to press the clutch half-way down to shift gears without affecting the PTO operation.

I think that I would prefer the hydraulic PTO clutch, but I have never used one so it is hard to know for sure. This post addresses the first "complaint" that I have heard.

Kelvin

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #8  
I've owned several tractors before I got my M4900 and none of them had a hydraulic independent pto. I was accustomed to the two stage clutch and I was in the habit of keeping my right foot poised while mowing, especially in places where I couldn't see what I was cutting.

It has definitely been a big adjustment for me - After a year and a half, I still mash the clutch sometimes when I get on something with the cutter, expecting the pto to stop. Of course it doesn't and I have to reach back for the lever.

If there is one thing I would change on the tractor it would probably be the location of the pto lever. It is not in a spot you naturally reach for. It takes some getting used to.

I do like the single stage clutch as far as ease of use. It takes twice the effort to mash in the two stage and my old arthritic knee appreciates the change.

TBone

/ pto clutch/hyd??
thanks, you hit it right on the head...the independent pto is probably every bit as good as the 2 stage clutch..but i got use to the clutch disengaging the pto...and the lever on the independent pto is not located in the first place i think to start reaching..i'm usually pulling on the steering wheel with both hands, pushing the clutch in and hollering whoa!!!!!!! a larger lever would be ok with me...it seems pretty important to get that thing shut off sometimes...it will just take some getting use to..but i asked a couple folks that work on tractors, and they assured me the clutch would still disengage the pto...yeah right...when pigs fly....
heehaw

/ pto clutch/hyd?? #10  
Kelvin:

Thanks for the info on a two stage clutch....makes sense.

It's a good day when I can learn something new!