PTO generator at max torque or max HP?

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #51  
The only thing I'm mainly asking is 24 HP enough? & all it states is required HP 24 HP. & I guess that's engine HP not HP at the pto & it doesn't state that is required at the pto & that was at 540 rpm only required with 24 HP or more :unsure: .
we answered your question. its 10k with that tractor. its 24hp pto for full rating. they would have no idea what tractor /loss the engine to pto conversion would be.

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #52  
we answered your question. its 10k with that tractor. its 24hp pto for full rating. they would have no idea what tractor /loss the engine to pto conversion would be.
Okay! Thanks for the clarity & that would be 20.1 HP at the pto = 10K .

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #53  
Okay! Thanks for the clarity & that would be 20.1 HP at the pto = 10K .
FWIW my 11KW unit came with a 23HP engine who's drive shaft runs pretty much straight to the generator, can't say for sure I've ever put a 11KW load on it but just for reference.

But yes, 20PTO HP should do fine with 10KW.

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #54  
FWIW my 11KW unit came with a 23HP engine who's drive shaft runs pretty much straight to the generator, can't say for sure I've ever put a 11KW load on it but just for reference.

But yes, 20PTO HP should do fine with 10KW.
Okay ! Thank You for your help with this question as I'm new to the idea of a pto gen. so I guess I'll have to go with less , My other tractor could handle it , It's gasoline & would consume way more fuel than the diesel. Thanks again.

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #55  
Maybe you all should work backward. Check your electric bill. In the summer I average less than 10 kilowatt-hours per day, in the winter maybe up to 20. Thats over daytime hours so 1- 2 kilowatt-hours per hour. That means a box store 4000 watt gas generator is just fine for my needs (and most other households or they wouldn't be popular). My 20 HP (at the PTO) tractor gives me 10,000 watts hooked up to my 15,000 watt capable generator, but I really need only about 2000 of that on average (the other 8000 is wasted diesel but I have to run almost wide open to generate the RPMs up to stay at 60cpm), thus plenty to spare for surges. Take a look at your power bills. 15 kw generators were designed for dairy farmers who HAVE to milk (ie run their energy consuming milking machines).

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #56  
but I really need only about 2000 of that on average (the other 8000 is wasted diesel but I have to run almost wide open to generate the RPMs up to stay at 60cpm), thus plenty to spare for surges.
Not exactly, if the engine isn't working to make the 8000, it's not burning the fuel to make it either...

SR

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #57  
SR you're right. That's why I only have to refill the tank once late in the afternoon running my generator. The extra 8000 isn't produced without a load and the fuel isn't burned (minus inefficiencies in the system). The capacity is there were I to need it, but I really never need that much. This is analogous to mowing short dry grass vs wet heavy grass; the high load of the latter requires more energy and takes more fuel. Doesn't change my point though - most households don't draw much more than a few thousand watts so don't really need a full 15KW output.

MF

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #58  
It's true that you have to make enough power to spin the engine at that speed even if you don't need much power out of the generator because you have to maintain rpm regardless to keep frequency in a safe range, but.. in a diesel (and this is one of the if not THE biggest advantage of a diesel) when you don't need power out and are just trying to keep the engine spinning you can use ONLY as much fuel as it takes to spin the engine.

That's a lot better than a gas engine which has to overcome its frictional requirements AND run enough fuel through the cylinders to maintain an 'ignitable' mixture. Because ignition comes from a single point and has to propagate through the cylinder, even when you don't need much power out of a gas engine, you still have to feed it more fuel than you would 'need' just to keep it spinning, and then throw most of the power potential out the window by restricting the air inlet and limiting ignition timing to maintain low rpm with 'too much' fuel for the load.

So compare the 'waste of diesel' to what a gas generator does and it doesn't look so bad. Gas generators are bad enough that one guy used the 12v circuit of his Toyota Prius (roughly a 1kw 'generator') and found that his 1500cc Prius engine was more fuel efficient making ~300v and converting it back to a pittance of 12v and converting that back up to 120v ac, than an actual 1000w 3600rpm governed gas generator. A 1kw gas generator is going to have a <200cc engine.. non-inverter gas generators SUCK efficiency wise.

If you're going to have a non-inverter generator at all, it might as well be diesel as its a lesser of evils.

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #59  
One thing I'll add here is, using a bigger generator head has the BIG advantage of more mass, and that's a good thing in MANY ways...

Of course, as a heat sink, but one big advantage for a bigger gen on a smaller tractor is, the extra rotating internal mass of the generator. It works like a flywheel, absorbing sudden loads as they come on, giving your engines governor time to cover the load.

I'll have to say here though, I've NOT had even one modern tractor, that the governor didn't respond fast enough to properly run my pto generator.

SR

/ PTO generator at max torque or max HP? #60  
Maybe you all should work backward. Check your electric bill. In the summer I average less than 10 kilowatt-hours per day, in the winter maybe up to 20. Thats over daytime hours so 1- 2 kilowatt-hours per hour. That means a box store 4000 watt gas generator is just fine for my needs (and most other households or they wouldn't be popular). My 20 HP (at the PTO) tractor gives me 10,000 watts hooked up to my 15,000 watt capable generator, but I really need only about 2000 of that on average (the other 8000 is wasted diesel but I have to run almost wide open to generate the RPMs up to stay at 60cpm), thus plenty to spare for surges. Take a look at your power bills. 15 kw generators were designed for dairy farmers who HAVE to milk (ie run their energy consuming milking machines).

Using total energy used (kw-hrs) to determine an “average” power usage means nothing when sizing a generator, or any electrical sizing problem. Instantaneous power required is the only thing that matters.
Example: I want to run my 4000watt hot tub on a generator. It only runs 3 to 6 hours a day (12-24 kw-hrs per day). That’s an average 500-1000 watt load for 24 hours, so a 1500 watt generator should be more than enough right?
Or, say it is “daytime loads” for 12 hours, like you did, and we say the average is double: 1000-2000 watts, we buy a 3000watt generator? Still won’t work.
A generator needs to be sized based on running loads and to accommodate motor starting inrush currents. It has to be sized to start that motor when other loads are already running unless there’s a plan or interlocks for sequenced starts.