PTO Generator

/ PTO Generator #1  

fpc

I'm thinking of getting a PTO generator for back up power to my home. I'd be connecting it to my 2210. It seems like the 2210's HP rating will drive a 7 to 11KW unit. These seem to run (with trailer and shaft) about $1500 to $1800. The advantage of a PTO generator over a stand alone unit is that you get a lot more juice for the buck. Anybody have any experiences with PTO generators for the 2210?

/ PTO Generator #2  
I've no direct experience but, done lots of investigation.

Unless you have lots of multiple hour power outages, the time it takes to (disconnect what ever is already on the tractor and) hook up a PTO unit by flash light will keep you from doing it real frequently.

I've lost the URL to the government study into why so many mid-west farmers had electrical/electronic equipment failures after flooding caused power outages several years ago. But the upshot of it was that the farmers used PTO generators running at the wrong line frequency and burned out the equipment. [Conjecture by me follows.] Probably because they ran the units too slow. You need a 540 RPM PTO speed to get 60 Hz power. 540 RPM is usually obtained at a higher engine speed that most of us are comfortable with letting our tractors run for a major portion of a day.

Seems to me that PTO power is more suitable for use as a portable power source away from the reach of an extension cord.

If you do choose to use a PTO generator make sure to get a frequency meter with the instrumentation package. Underfrequency is a killer of motors; in referigerators, forced air heating, etc. Except for some clocks, which won't keep proper time, couple of Hz off is likely not going to hurt short term, but, 10% off will likely cause problems. It's a heat problem, so the longer device operates at an off frequency the greater the chance of damage.

Dave

/ PTO Generator #3  
Funny that this subject came up and I found it today as I had just gotten through reading an article from Canada about this very problem. Here's the link:
Producing quality power
John

/ PTO Generator #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .....You need a 540 RPM PTO speed to get 60 Hz power. 540 RPM is usually obtained at a higher engine speed that most of us are comfortable with letting our tractors run for a major portion of a day.....)</font>

Why? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I thought that diesel engines ran best at full bore, and that is where they liked to be.

A company that I worked for had a LARGE whole bulding backup generator that I've seen run continuously for a week at full bore. These systems come on and the engine goes to full speed right away.

Obviously your are concerned about engine wear, but is your your engine so untrustworthy that you are afraid to run it for a few hours at the speed it's meant to operate at?

/ PTO Generator #5  
Micro,
Yeah a variation of this discussion has been done a few times on the durability of the higher reving diesles in the CUT tractors and I was assured that they were designed for this and the lifetime would be the same or better than the older slower reving diesels.

Which way is it ?

/ PTO Generator #6  
I wouldn't use a PTO generator for emergency power. If I have had some type of emergency that would require backup power, chances are good that I may need my tractor for other purposes such as clearing snow, moving blown down trees, etc..

/ PTO Generator #7  
"I wouldn't use a PTO generator for emergency power. If I have had some type of emergency that would require backup power, chances are good that I may need my tractor for other purposes such as clearing snow, moving blown down trees, etc.. "

A very good reason to have 2 tractors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Generator #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A very good reason to have 2 tractors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
)</font>

That would work..................

/ PTO Generator #9  
I built my new home and had them put in a convertable panel box. 200a service with a 50a bypass for the generator. I could run most of my house with this system with a 7350 surge 5350 continuous 10hp portable with a 30a outside plug. After the initial surge you can run several things on 30a.

If your using it as an emergency situation then the PTO way sounds more cumbersome.

/ PTO Generator #10  
I am rewiring my house right now and doing the same kind of thing. Putting the essientials on a sub panel with a transfer switch. Just pull up the generator and plug it into the outside 220 receptacle, after operating the transfer switch of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif