PTO Generator

/ PTO Generator #21  
@Robin Veerman
I'm not sure why some generator manufacturers design pto generators to run at 510 rpm's, if that's your question.
As far as what difference it makes... not much. By specs, my tractor engine rpm's are 2476 at 540 pto speed, and 2338 engine rpm's at 510 pto speed.

/ PTO Generator #22  
I have had several occasions where the PTO generator came in quite handy. Ice storms taking out power, summertime wind storms causing power outages and now and then I use it for remote power. I found a used WinPower generator for my son a few months ago.

Attachments

• Phone Pics 139 (3).jpg
    Phone Pics 139 (3).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
   / PTO Generator #23  
We live in an area where we get a lot of weather and probably lose power at least once a month and often several times. The problem with PTO generators is simple - when you need a generator is right when you also need the tractor.

After trying a PTO generator we switched to Honda and Generac stand alone generators. The two together use less fuel & maintenance than a tractor. One runs on gasoline and the other on propane. Nice to have both. That leaves the tractor for dealing with debris.
rScotty

/ PTO Generator #25  
We live in an area where we get a lot of weather and probably lose power at least once a month and often several times. The problem with PTO generators is simple - when you need a generator is right when you also need the tractor.
rScotty
That keeps being repeated over and over, but in all the years I've had a pto generator it's not happened to me, even one time.

I can honestly say, I've never needed any tractor, when I had my tractor running my pto generator.

SR

/ PTO Generator #26  
That keeps being repeated over and over, but in all the years I've had a pto generator it's not happened to me, even one time.

I can honestly say, I've never needed any tractor, when I had my tractor running my pto generator.

SR
I'm thinking the same way. I have two small Honda generators, but the issues involving gas fuel storage, ethanol issues and I already have a diesel tractor. I feel it's another job that can easily be done with the tractor. Many storms cause damage to trees and buildings etc, but the need to have the tractor available for cleanup has never been urgent, while the need for electricity was. My quest for a quality and reasonably priced pto generator is ongoing. I'm impressed with the Baumalight QC generator specs (12kw is my goal), and Winco or Winpower (same company?) units seem quite popular too...

/ PTO Generator #27  
What’s the difference for 510 rpm vs 540 rpm that some generators have on their specs?
What's more important than this is the cycles. You want 60 cycles per second which you adjust with the engine rpm. If that spec ends up being a little below or above the rated pto rpm it doesn't matter much.

/ PTO Generator #28  
I'm thinking the same way. I have two small Honda generators, but the issues involving gas fuel storage, ethanol issues and I already have a diesel tractor. I feel it's another job that can easily be done with the tractor. Many storms cause damage to trees and buildings etc, but the need to have the tractor available for cleanup has never been urgent, while the need for electricity was. My quest for a quality and reasonably priced pto generator is ongoing. I'm impressed with the Baumalight QC generator specs (12kw is my goal), and Winco or Winpower (same company?) units seem quite popular too...
I also have two small Honda generators which work well for lights refrigeration, etc. For well pump, cooking appliances and A/C, I use the Baumalight 12K trailer mounted PTO generator. I find the trailer genny is quicker to hook up than a 3pt mounted unit.

I have a second tractor but have yet to need it during the outages we get around here. Unless the road gets blocked, clean up can usually wait until power is restored.

My main concern is the fuel supply. Gas stations can't pump during an extended widespread outage. Unless you have a huge propane tank, you can easily run out if the power is off for a week or more. I keep my 1000 gal fuel oil tank topped off during the stormy season and it will run the tractor PTO genny several hours a day for at least month if necessary.

/ PTO Generator #29  

After trying a PTO generator we switched to Honda and Generac stand alone generators. The two together use less fuel & maintenance than a tractor. One runs on gasoline and the other on propane. Nice to have both. That leaves the tractor for dealing with debris.
rScotty
I don't think I have to worry about needing a tractor and running the generator at the same time. Tractors are reliable, now the problem with little piss ant generators is that they are powered by single cylinder air cooled gasoline engines that were invented in hell and brought to us at the hands of the devil! Give me diesel or give me death...didn't some American patriot say that!

Attachments

• Phone71120 027.jpg
    Phone71120 027.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
   / PTO Generator #30  
The two times of the year when I lose power are during ice storms, and Spring Thunder Storms. It's hit or miss if it happens, and most of the time, power is back on fairly quickly. For 99% of the time, my little Honda generator is all we need to keep the lights on, watch TV and charge our cell phones.

Since the power loss is so unpredictable, I would have to disconnect what's on my tractor to hook up a PTO Generator. I hate removing what I have already hooked up to my tractor because that's what I'm needing on it. I would hate it even more if I did this before a storm and we didn't lose power, or if I waited and I had to do it out in the weather during a thunder storm. I can't think of a good time to hook up a PTO Generator.

The little Honda cost a grand, it starts every time, it's easy to bring out to where I'm working and have electricity for my tools without using a tractor that might be needed for something else.

If I was to buy a bigger generator, it would be a Natural Gas generator that would be mounted in my garage. Last year we lost power for 5 days from a snow storm. The Honda and wood stove kept us comfortable, but it would have been more comfortable with more power. Not a priority, but something to plan for down the road if a deal comes along, or our power supply continues to fall apart.