PTO oil seal issue I never thought will occur

/ PTO oil seal issue I never thought will occur #1  

ArtMech

Platinum Member
Tractor
Present: 2003 Kubota M9000 DTF; 2001 Kubota GB15. Sold: 1985 Kubota L2202
The PTO oil seal started leaking between the rubberized metal liner and the shaft. Ordered new one via local Kubota dealer, payed $48. I was surprised when realized that the brand new seal doesn't fit my tractor. The internal diameter of new seal is larger in 3 mm. The 6 slot shaft is of 35 mm (I was guessing this is a world wide standard), but the internal diameter of new seal is of 38 mm. External diameter is correct - 58 mm. OK, visually new seal with no meaning differs from the old one, it's a bit modified. But how could one of two main dimensions be different?
I came back to the dealer. He sent a message to the distributor (Kubota U.K.) who answered a seal must fit my tractor. Here I have to mention, that dealer has no info on M9000, he operates catalogue of ME9000 (European version of this tractor). IMHO the PTO shaft must not differ either tractor is of Europe or of USA specification. The distributor asked for VIN of my tractor, he had been informed that it is imported from the USA, but later confirmed the same - no other part number exists.
An issue I have temporarily solved. I have fitted cheap $2.78 conventional seal (35x58 mm) there and meanwhile have no leaks.

Has someone had similar issue? What did you do if yes or what would you do if it would happen to you?

PTO seal 1.jpg PTO seal 2.jpg PTO seal 3.jpg PTO seal removed from a tractor 4.jpg

Last edited:
   / PTO oil seal issue I never thought will occur #2  
G'day looks like you are missing a wear ring to go on the shaft, and you are right 1 3/8" 6 spline is an industry standard for 540 rpm pto shaft

Jon

/ PTO oil seal issue I never thought will occur
G'day looks like you are missing a wear ring to go on the shaft, and you are right 1 3/8" 6 spline is an industry standard for 540 rpm pto shaft

Jon
Jon, thanks for your input. I thought too that I'm missing something. But new seal has a wear ring (as I called it "metal liner") to be mounted on the shaft. That ring has rubberized internal surface like it must be. And the catalogue doesn't show any additional part(s).
But you made me thinking, maybe ME9000 could be equipped with an optional 1000 rpm PTO. Maybe that could be a reason, why do the seals differ? I'm not familiar with the design of 1000 rpm PTO shaft. But the catalogue should make a note on that.
If about the standard. Russian tractors are designed with 8 (not 6) spline PTO shafts. And the shaft diameter is exactly 38 mm. But this is only Russia and I don't care about it.

PTO seal 11.JPG

/ PTO oil seal issue I never thought will occur #4  
G'day the standard for a 1000rpm pto is still 1 3/8" but 21 spline, we are starting to see alot of chinese imports here with 1 1/2" 6 spline for the 540 but they are few and far between (thankfully) as to get an adapter for them means a one off unit and $$$$. The only other shaft we see over here is the 1 3/4" 20 spline on the larger units 150hp+ so I'm sorry but I cannot shed anymore light on your problem but I would be getting a refund off the dealer for the wrong seal (they got the part number not you), maybe posting in the kubota section might get you some answers.

Good luck

Jon