PTO Overun Clutch

/ PTO Overun Clutch #1  

Woodsman30350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 3040
I am getting ready to buy a bush hog cutter for my 3040 and would like to know if I will need a PTO overun clutch?

/ PTO Overun Clutch #2  
I am getting ready to buy a bush hog cutter for my 3040 and would like to know if I will need a PTO overun clutch?
Technically speaking, you do not need an ORC on a live or independent pto but you do on a non-live pto (like the Ford 8N , Ferguson TO-30).

Do you have an independent PTO or a live PTO? I have an indendent PTO on my Ford 4610 and it has a clutch pack between the input and the output shaft. People told me I didn't need a ORC for it but the rotary inertia of my 6 ft heavy duty cutter is hard on that clutch pack when I shut down the PTO as it has to stop the rotation of the rotating mass. So I use the ORC to allow the rotary inertia to reacted out by the system friction while the clutch pack does not have to absorb the rotational energy of the drive line.

If you have a live pto, the sytem friction slows down the rotating system when you depress the clutch pedal fully so I don't think there is any advantage to having an ORC.

Last edited:
   / PTO Overun Clutch #3  
You know, I've had the same thoughts about the wear on the clutch pack but hadn't thought about using an ORC. I think I'm going to get one. Thanks for your post

/ PTO Overun Clutch #4  
You know, I've had the same thoughts about the wear on the clutch pack but hadn't thought about using an ORC. I think I'm going to get one. Thanks for your post

Agri-Suppy(Agri Supply®) has a nice one that is a quick disconnect type and i think it's made by Speeco. That's where I got mine.