PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #11  
Have you checked all the grounds? maybe you have a grounding issue.

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #12  
Does this clutch coil have two terminals on the connector or just one? If it has two, are you measuring the Voltage ACROSS the coil or from ground to the hot terminal of the coil?

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #13  
Any news?

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554
PROBLEM SOLVED

I finally gave up and took the mower into the shop. The guy there was stumped as well for quite a while but finally determined that it was a bad relay. The funny thing was that voltage to the PTO looked good (checking with voltmeter) but perhaps voltage dropped off to nothing when a load was put on it (PTO connected).

The quick PTO check that the shop did was to connect a 12 volt battery to the PTO and listen for a click. No click = PTO problem. Mine clicked just fine.

Anyway, I ended up buying PTO I didn't need (at least I have a backup now) and close to $200 troubleshooting to replace a $30 relay.

OUCH$$$$

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #15  
The original post is pretty old and the problem has been solved. That said, I had a similar problem. Turned out the wires on the PTO unit were broken right where they enter the main PTO housing. They looked alright physically, but the copper wires inside the insulation were broken. What caused this was inadvertently turning the PTO while removing the drive pulleys, gotta be careful not to let that happen when the PTO stop is removed, as when taking the deck off.

I was able to peel back the insulation and solder the wires, all is now well again. It taught me a lesson on being very careful not to let the PTO housing turn when removing the deck or blade drive belt (and the PTO locking bar is removed). It doesn't take much to break those wires, and if they do break it happens very close to the drive housing and not easy to repair

Last edited:
   / PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #17  
checked grounds

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #18  
what would couse the pto to disengage as soon as it engages

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #19  
More than likely either the wire back at the reverse sensing switch, not enough power @ the clutch itself or a worn clutch.