PTO safety???

/ PTO safety??? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
OK, now that I have my first tractor with a PTO, I'm thinking safety. I see the newer tractor have a sheld that goes around the PTO stub on the tractor. Now, my old 8N does not have one. Is this something that can be made up? Any standerd specs?

Also, when you buy a brushcutter, does the PTO shaft come with a cover, or would you need to buy that sepret?

Thanks for any help.

/ PTO safety??? #2  
<font color="blue">...when you buy a brushcutter, does the PTO shaft come with a cover... </font>

All "new" implements will have the PTO shaft and guards included with the unit...

...it's the used/auction items mostly that won't have them, or may be missing components that may render them unsafe...

Even with the NEW plastic shields... always CONSIDER THE PTO SHAFT UNSAFE, so you will stay away from it while running...

/ PTO safety???
<font color="red">Even with the NEW plastic shields... always CONSIDER THE PTO SHAFT UNSAFE, so you will stay away from it while running...
</font>

Thanks John. I have read alot of storys here about the dangers of the PTO shaft, so I plan to show it a lot of respect, and do what I can to limit the hazards.

/ PTO safety??? #4  
I'd remember the golden rule of don't mess with it unless it's dead (aka engine off)

/ PTO safety??? #5  
Even the old N's had an after market pto shield kit. You may or may not be able to find one at
www.dennis-carpenter.com
Or you could make your own, and attatch it with the bolts that hold the check chains on.

Also, stores like TSC sell a pto screw on cap..

Soundguy

/ PTO safety???
Thanks soundguy. I have the DC catalog at home, no sheld. I will probably make one up.

/ PTO safety??? #7  
If I undertand I think you're refering to the pto shield that's on the tractor itself and not on the pto shaft. Now I might get some negative comments for this post but here goes anyway. My bota had the shield and I took it off recently. Best thing I've ever done. With the shield in place you have to be a contortionist to hook up the bush hog or post driller. With it off it's a breeze. I call these type of things idiot guards because they came into being as a result of someone elses unsafe actions and subsequent injury. You can only make things so safe and if someone wants to be unsafe they're going to hurt themselves anyway. I have enough confidence in my sense not to get loose clothing caught in a turning pto shaft that I don't need or want the added guard. Guess it's kind of like knowing not to point a loaded gun at my head and pull the trigger. Anyway the added protection gained is outweighed by the inconvenience factor in my opinion.

/ PTO safety???
<font color="red"> I call these type of things idiot guards because they came into being as a result of someone elses unsafe actions and subsequent injury. You can only make things so safe and if someone wants to be unsafe they're going to hurt themselves anyway. </font>

My feeling is that with the old N's, the PTO is right under the rider, and there is realy nothing between you, and that spinning shaft. Wile I try to be carfull, you just never know what may happen. Plus, I don't plan on changing a lot of attachments at this time, so messing with it a bit, is not that bad.

/ PTO safety??? #9  
One thing I use to think when I was hooking up the Pto shaft is what would happen if for some reason the PTO started spinning. With you hand up inside the shield you would not be able to get it out. From now on I always turn the tractor off when I hook the shaft up. Just something to think about.

/ PTO safety??? #10  
If hes going to be custom making the pto shield anyway, It wouldn't be too hard to incorporate a door hinge on the top, and ball/detent pins ( or cotter/key pins ) on the sides, that way, you pull a couple pins and tilt it up.. or heck.. make the shield part pin on to the bracket.. and remove the whole thing when attatching / reattatching.

My NH has a shield that flips up... not too bad to mess with.

Soundguy