PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #1  

Dave Pee

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2032R 2015
Hello everyone! My slip-collar PTO coupler has a hard time staying locked. Fairly common JD coupler that has 3 ball bearings in it, to lock on to the tractor PTO.

5 years old. I just put a lot of oil on it to clean it out. Taking it apart is the next step, and maybe a new spring installed.

Anybody else have this problem? Any simple fix that I am missing?

Tnx Dave

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #2  
Oil it, clean it well, air to blow debris out, maybe even soak it in some kind of degreaser/penetrant. Work it several times, repeat as necessary.

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #3  
I would disassemble it. There's likely to be debris under the collar that is preventing the spring from fully returning the collar and pushing the balls all the way in.

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #5  
If you take it apart, please post about it (either here or another thread!) I have one but I don't use it (I swap out the pto shaft with the pull back collar).

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #6  
You rotate the ring to free the balls to slide the unit together. Once together rotate the ring the other way to lock it. If there's a spring in it the spring may not be adequate the friction of the mechanism - based on my experience. I don't like putting oil where I know dust will be.

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #7  
1st thing I recommend is sliding telescoping shaft apart & look for chaffing of metal. If male section is rough then smooth with a grinder & apply some never-seize. Reassemble then if pto coupler comes off tractor pto next I would disassemble quick coupler

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog
Thanks guys. I did more lube on the coupler, and oil on the extendable shaft of the mower - it was pretty rusty. Did a few runs thru the yard, and it held together just fine.

PS I have a quick connect assembly on back of tractor, so I can "rapidly" connect different implements. But that makes me have to reach a few more inches into the back of tractor, to get to PTO shaft. A royal pain in the rear! So I installed a cheap extender, about 6 inches long - and now it is much easier to hook up the PTO shafts! No more headaches or busted knuckles!

/ PTO shaft de-couples in use: Bush Hog #9  
With a 6" extension, don't forget to double check your shaft lengths. Make sure they are not too long.