PTO Shaft Extender

/ PTO Shaft Extender #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
I have a new PTO chipper/shredder. I have Pat's Easy Change quick hitch on my lower links. The added 4" m/l of Pat's render the PTO shaft that came with the chipper too short. I would prefer not to have to take Pat's on and off when using the chipper/shredder. Part of the concern is that the chipper/shredder PTO connection point is a smooth shaft with a key lock which fits into a female adapter on the implement side of the PTO shaft.

I have a call in to the manufacturer to see what they say but am considering a few options on my own. First is a PTO shaft extender like the one below. It would extend the shaft length 4.5". I would only need to use it for this one implement.

The chipper shredder will be on the ground when the PTO is turning so there is no worry of bouncing around, etc. Since the the extender basically balances out Pat's extra length it seems that it will not be changing the PTO angle without Pat's and the extender (if I am thinking correctly). Further the chipper/shredder will get some use but only intermittently and not like running a tiller all day. So anything I should be concerned about?

Any better solutions?

PTO Extender Link.

694891.jpg

/ PTO Shaft Extender #2  
The PTO extender would probably do the job for you. Other than getting a new drive line you could also consider an over run clutch.

/ PTO Shaft Extender #3  
A simple pto extension would work. Needed a extra couple of inches using Pat’s. Opted for a 100hp overriding clutch for tiller and rotary cutter. $117 from Amazon.

/ PTO Shaft Extender #4  
PTO shaft tubes are relatively cheap and the best option. Since you are running a chipper I'd suggest spending a little more on either a friction clutch or ratchet clutch instead of a simple shaft extender.

Chippers put a lot of load on your PTO and introducing another wobble point for no reason is a bad idea IMHO.

A clutch can save your tractor expensive repairs.

/ PTO Shaft Extender #5  
I have a call in to the manufacturer to see what they say but am considering a few options on my own. First is a PTO shaft extender like the one below. It would extend the shaft length 4.5". I would only need to use it for this one implement.
I have used a tractor PTO shaft adapter, similar to your picture, for years. My adapter converted 21 spline "1000" to 6 spline "540". It allowed my tractor to use it's faster 1000 RPM PTO to drive my 540 stuff, thus reducing engine RPMs from 2000 to 1100. As you suggest, that's one option.

Another option worth considering is to buy or modify the implement's driveline (PTO shaft). I have a seed broadcaster that needed to be extended, so I cut the shaft and welded in an extension of about 8". Some implement manufacturers include a driveline that is barely long enough under the best conditions, meaning the engagement between driveline shaft and driveline sleeve is minimal. Therefore buying/extending your shaft more than 4.5" may be a very good thing to do.

/ PTO Shaft Extender #6  
Hey- i use the exact same pto extender in the picture above with my pats easy change. I use it on a hudson logging winch and a woodmax wm-8h chipper with no issues at all. The extender fits nice and snug and i honestly cant see any wobble or any apparent weak point. Your gonna find that when using the pats easy change alot of your pto shafts will be too short without an extender. Good luck

/ PTO Shaft Extender
Thanks everyone, especially Pitbill, that was particularly helpful. I ordered the one I pictured above.

/ PTO Shaft Extender #8  
I'm sure it will work good for you. I would have agreed with the ones recommending an over running clutch just to save the tractors pto brake.

/ PTO Shaft Extender
I'm sure it will work good for you. I would have agreed with the ones recommending an over running clutch just to save the tractors pto brake.
I looked at that but it was more expensive and appeared to require extra maintenance (Tractor Mike Shear Pin vs Slip Clutch look towards end of video). I'm trying to keep things simple which is not always easy when improvements and additions so often bring forth unexpected complications. 🤪😄

/ PTO Shaft Extender
I mounted the PTO extender referred to in my original post. It fits snuggly with minimal wobble and appears to be very solidly built. If I measured correctly the difference between using the extender and not only increased the lower angle of the PTO shaft by less than 2 degrees. Happy with the solution and purchase.