Pto shaft question?

/ Pto shaft question? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
When I first got the new Kubota last April, it came with a fertilizer spreader that had a little pto attached. That thing is tiny compared to the old Ford stuff that I have. It is very short too as the spreader sits closer to the tractor than other implements. I didn't realize how short until I went to use my old bush hog and it came apart in the middle when I set the hog down to cut. It flopped around a little until I could get stopped. I had trouble pushing it back together after that. ( I took the one off the old ford to bush hog from then on). Anyway, the tiny pto shaft is dented a little and when I try to slide the tube in/out it hangs up and won't move. I had to hook it to a chain to pull it out and separate. Is there any way to get that small dent out of the tube so the other end will slide in and out? I do not like these new tiny pto shafts that come with stuff now days, it is tiny and triangular shaped. Not much to it anyway. The old Ford pto is heavy and squared shaped and much better product. I guess they made things to last 40-50 years ago. Ugh. The reason for the post is that I tried to use the spreader on my deer plots and could not use the new pto shaft as it won't move in or out now. I had to resort to the old ford shaft and it was a tight fit with maybe 2" to spare (too long and only 2" to slide in and out). Any ideas...or just chunk the thing and get a new short shaft? New ain't always better! :mad:

/ Pto shaft question? #2  
drill a hole in the dent and thus remove the dent by making it in to a hole, if it is not that big of a dent,

/ Pto shaft question? #3  
You can clen it up and use a file to take the high spots off. If you have one a dynafile would make quick work of it. I have one here on my tiller that is trangle shaped and it will only go together one way and if you get it rotated one part turn you can say some nice words to it

/ Pto shaft question?
That just might work! Thanks.

/ Pto shaft question?
That dent is too far down for a file to reach it. That would work great if I could get to it!