PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #31  
I scan thru the reply's and most were something I would try. The thing that I didn't see mentioned was the fact that when disassembling the PTO joints is the bearing caps contain needle bearings that really like to scatter all over when being taken apart. If Island decides to go this route and if the tractor is in a remote location and if the work is being performed on a weekend I would strongly suggest taking a spare cross, maybe a complete PTO driveline with him for backup parts. These needle bearing can be extremly aggervating if they get loose. I have experience this many times. Hopefully he has a bench vise avaliable to help assemble the joint again. This might be a time to call a mobile mechanic with puller tools. Yes expensive, but if Island's a weekender gentleman farmer then his time is limited and some of those types have to just throw money at things in order to get things done in their limited time window. I have experience working on machinery in remote locations and overkill on backup parts and extra experienced skilled labor is the only way to go. This saves on gas expense and aggrevation especially, if it has to be done NOW. bjr

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #32  
BJR brings up a very valid point, and a funny memory about needle bearings,U joints,sand, my younger cousin and a 67 mustang. But I digress; a spare u joint is a great idea.

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor
bjr said:
The thing that I didn't see mentioned was the fact that when disassembling the PTO joints is the bearing caps contain needle bearings that really like to scatter all over when being taken apart. If Island decides to go this route and if the tractor is in a remote location and if the work is being performed on a weekend I would strongly suggest taking a spare cross, maybe a complete PTO driveline with him for backup parts. These needle bearing can be extremly aggervating if they get loose. I have experience this many times. Hopefully he has a bench vise avaliable to help assemble the joint again. This might be a time to call a mobile mechanic with puller tools....

BJR, your warning is appropriate. I am certainly not an experienced "PTO mechanic" and have never disassembled a PTO yoke. Cannot even figure out how to start without directions so the concern about getting it back together is appropriate. I didn't even know what a needle bearing was until I googled it just now.:eek: I presume you were referring to loose or uncaged needle bearings that would pop out and be difficult to reassemble.

Seeking professional help is not really an option due to the island location. I don't have access to a mobile mechanic without hiring someone for a day and bringing them to the island ($$$) so I need to solve this by myself. I do have a vise and other basic automotive sized tools but have just yesterday ordered a 13lb slide hammer and a set of gear pullers via internet which will take another week to arrive. So, I don't have a full shop for tractor maintenance (yet). Tried to get some those items at the local NAPA store and they just chuckled...no call for stocking tractor sized tools in Boston! Closest Tractor Supply location is 2 hours away in a neighboring state!

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to pry the thing free once I take off the PTO shield and I am game to try disassembling the yoke to use gear pullers etc. If I cannot get it back together or if the collar is damaged beyond repair, it will be much cheaper for me to simply replace the whole PTO shaft than to engage professional help.

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #34  
IslandTractor said:
I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to pry the thing free once I take off the PTO shield and I am game to try disassembling the yoke to use gear pullers etc. If I cannot get it back together or if the collar is damaged beyond repair, it will be much cheaper for me to simply replace the whole PTO shaft than to engage professional help.
If you need to disassemble the yoke, I suggest you Google "u-joint replacement" and read some of the tips, such as this article:

1971 Pontiac Firebird - Driveshaft U Joint Replacement - Tech - Car Craft

It isn't rocket science -- I've done it too many times to count, lying under my car beside the road -- but it can be a PITA...

I too, have too many stories of a modified HiPo 289 in an old Ford Falcon that ate u-joints and/or rear tires at an amazing rate... If I didn't get traction, I'd smoke the tires. If I did get traction, more times than not, I'd blow a u-joint... Memories!

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #35  
bjr has the solution I was going to propose. The cross's are not to expensive, and it doesn't take much of a vise to put them in. If your a bit clever, you don't need a vise at all.

Good Luck
Chris

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #36  
IslandTractor said:
I do have a vise and other basic automotive sized tools but have just yesterday ordered a 13lb slide hammer and a set of gear pullers via internet which will take another week to arrive.

Ed: To bad you don't have that slide hammer sooner. I just took another long look at the wide pic you posted.

1st thing to try would be the least labor intensive, slide hammer. Secure the fingers to the collar anyway you can-use a big u-bolt ? 1/4" cable-anything.. I wouldn't even take anything apart at first. Pull back on hammer firmly, but lightly a few times and see how it feels.. if not right, remove the shaft and the shield and try again.. should be able to walk it right off...IMHO...good luck

dynasim said:
bjr has the solution I was going to propose. The cross's are not to expensive, and it doesn't take much of a vise to put them in. If your a bit clever, you don't need a vise at all.

Good Luck
Chris

Hah, I talked to a dealer about the cost of replacing HALF of the PTO (tractor side). The official Bush Hog price for HALF is $240.:eek: :eek: Nuts. Dealer burst out laughing. Maybe that was the gold plated option or perhaps those PTOs are really made by Volvo/BMW/Mercedes (take your pick).

If I damage the thing I'll get a knockoff PTO shaft complete off Ebay or AgriSupply for way less than that.

irwin said:
Ed: To bad you don't have that slide hammer sooner. I just took another long look at the wide pic you posted.

1st thing to try would be the least labor intensive, slide hammer. Secure the fingers to the collar anyway you can-use a big u-bolt ? 1/4" cable-anything.. I wouldn't even take anything apart at first. Pull back on hammer firmly, but lightly a few times and see how it feels.. if not right, remove the shaft and the shield and try again.. should be able to walk it right off...IMHO...good luck

Your post makes me realize that I could improvise a slide hammer. I have lots of pipe laying around the barn and I could pretty easily drill some holes for bolts as stops and attachment points in the smaller pipe and then use a larger gauge pipe as the slide hammer. Prudence Island people are notorious for jury rigging just about everything as there is no option to hop in the car for a quick trip to Home Depot etc. Ya just make do with what is at hand or what you can scrounge from the dump. I may take that on as a challenge. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
   / PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #39  
Great idea's, taking a cue from several this is what I'd try.

Connect one end of a come-along to an immobile object such as a tree, and connect the other end to the offending shaft up at or near the U joint. Start applying steady pulling pressure on the shaft/U joint via the come-along whilst tapping on the coupling with a hammer.
Of course the shaft and coupling have already been given a good dose of PB Blaster or equivalent.
This MAY break it loose without applying too much stress to your pto assembly.

If you do go the route of disassembling the U joint, I'd plan on just buying a new U joint to be safe. I've also taken quite a few apart back in the day and the easiest way to remove one without the benefit of a vice would be to remove the retaining clips from both ends, place a socket thats a hair smaller than the yoke over one end then pound it in. This will start to push the other end out. Stop pounding when the U Joint cap is just about out as it should be easily worked out from that point and you should be able to remove the cap w/it's tiny needleing bearings intact fron the U joint. Once you have one cap out you can then slide the U joint over and out from the other cap and remove it from the yoke. Reassembly via a vice is HIGHLY recommended.
Good luck

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #40  
I would take out the u-joint, and then use a gear puller. It should slide right off with a little encouragement from the gear puller.

Taking the u-joint out isn't a big deal. There should be some kind of retaining ring either on the ends of the bearing caps or on the inner side of the bearing cap. In some applications I have seen a plastic ring on the end of the retaining cap which needs to be broken out, then replaced with a meta;l

After getting the yoke off the tractor I would get one with a better release setup to put back on the shaft. Autoparts stores are cheaper places to get the u-joint than tractor dealers.

Hooking up the shaft to an immovable object and pulling it off under the power of the tractor is going to be very hard on the PTO seals, and could do some internal damage to the PTO itself.