PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I cannot remove my PTO shaft. I've never had this problem before and am unsure what may have caused it. My PTO shaft fittings have a spring loaded plate on the end of the coupler that I normally pull back to release the shaft. It is stuck and ???pushed further forward than I recall indicating it may have been pushed forward somehow. Photos below.

I've had this shaft on and off many times without trouble. Only change is that I adjusted the 3PT hitch geometry slightly to accommodate a different mower then put the bush hog back on and used it today. Did heavy cutting and a couple of times went into ditches that might have lifted the rear of the mower higher than usual but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. When I went to take off the PTO shaft coupler, I could not pull the spring loaded plate back. To pull back there is a ball bearing that it rides over and it seems jammed. No trouble putting it on last night at all so it was not damaged or stiff at that time. Not certain but the fitting might be a bit further onto the shaft than usual indicating it may have been forced forward ?when the tractor/mower "V"d while traversing the ditch. I'm not sure that was the cause of this jam but it is the only "atypical" event of the morning.

I have tried as much manual force as I can without success. I've also tried to use some C clamps to pull the plate forward but cannot get good purchase. Sprayed liberally with PB Blaster to no avail.

I need advice on how to remove the shaft without damaging the tractor PTO or, hopefully, the shaft. I can imagine a special propellor/gear puller type device might work but I don't have such a tool. Otherwise, what damage do I risk by putting a chain through the PTO coupler and applying traction by driving forward with the chain fixed to an immobile object?

Advice appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• pto shaft stuck1.JPG
    pto shaft stuck1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 5,436
  • pto shaft stuck2.JPG
    pto shaft stuck2.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 6,891
   / PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #2  
IslandTractor said:
I cannot remove my PTO shaft. I've never had this problem before and am unsure what may have caused it. My PTO shaft fittings have a spring loaded plate on the end of the coupler that I normally pull back to release the shaft. It is stuck and ???pushed further forward than I recall indicating it may have been pushed forward somehow. Photos below.

I've had this shaft on and off many times without trouble. Only change is that I adjusted the 3PT hitch geometry slightly to accommodate a different mower then put the bush hog back on and used it today. Did heavy cutting and a couple of times went into ditches that might have lifted the rear of the mower higher than usual but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. When I went to take off the PTO shaft coupler, I could not pull the spring loaded plate back. To pull back there is a ball bearing that it rides over and it seems jammed. No trouble putting it on last night at all so it was not damaged or stiff at that time. Not certain but the fitting might be a bit further onto the shaft than usual indicating it may have been forced forward ?when the tractor/mower "V"d while traversing the ditch. I'm not sure that was the cause of this jam but it is the only "atypical" event of the morning.

I have tried as much manual force as I can without success. I've also tried to use some C clamps to pull the plate forward but cannot get good purchase. Sprayed liberally with PB Blaster to no avail.

I need advice on how to remove the shaft without damaging the tractor PTO or, hopefully, the shaft. I can imagine a special propellor/gear puller type device might work but I don't have such a tool. Otherwise, what damage do I risk by putting a chain through the PTO coupler and applying traction by driving forward with the chain fixed to an immobile object?

Advice appreciated. Thanks guys.

First...do not try to break it loose by rigging it as described in your post. The odds are you would do serious damage to your tractor and still have a bad PTO Shaft.
I agree with the possibility the two halves of the shaft bottomed out when you crossed that ditch, thus jamming the coupler.

The first thing I suggest is to knock the pins out hold the shaft to the coupler. That should give you a bit more room to work. Remove the tractor's PTO shield too, if it isn't too much trouble.

My PTO shafts use a spring loaded pin to hold it onto the tractor. Depressing the pin releases the shaft for removal.
If I had the problem you're having...I'd grind the pin down (or something similar) and drive it through.
I'm not familar with the locking mechanism you're describing, but I thought one had to rotate the collar as you pull it back. Is that correct? Pulling back (and rotating?) releases the locking mechanism which may be balls or pins. Can you see what is used?
I suspect the mechanism is a pin or pins of some sort and one (or more) is bent or cocked over.

Since you cannot get a purchase with the C-clamps, once the PTO shield is removed, you may be able to get a pry bar in there. Two would be better...move them around as you pry so you don't cock the coupler.
However, if it's the locking balls or pins jammed, this may not work.
However, once you get the shield off, you may see a way to drive the locking mechanism (balls or pins) out or get them loosened up.

If this doesn't work, you may have to sacrifice the coupler. Use a high speed grinder (wearing all appropriate safety gear), cut it until you can split it apart, longitudinally.
This is a last resort, of course. The coupler can be replaced, or the entire shaft. Either would be cheaper then having to tear into the tractor's PTO gearing (which is probably what would happen if you try to break it loose by clamping the shaft while driving the tractor away).

This is a tough one to troubleshoot, even with the pictures. I hope one of our TBN bretheren with the same type of coupler (pull back collar) can give you better information then I have.

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #3  
IslandTractor:

This is the first time that I will disagree with RoyJackson :(. I "bottomed out" my PTO driveline on my tiller and had the radial pin slip clutch yoke hanging off my tractor's PTO stub. I could not disengage the radial pin slipclutch which releases similarly to your PTO driveline no matter what I tried- C clamps, dual pry bars, dual crowbars, etc. I called CCM and one of their service techs suggested that I pull it off and said it would not damage the tractor. I hooked a nylon tow strap through the u-joint/outer tube yoke. I used my White LT 1650 lawn tractor on my first attempt to pull it off and only succeeded at putting the White up on its rears :eek:. I used my Toyota Tacoma 4X4 on the next attempt and it came off easily with no damage to the tractor or the PTO drivline. I shortened the drivelines over the winter; I did not have a problem this year. It is possible that I over greased the radial pin slip clutch last year which may have contributed to the problem. The radial pin slip clutch did work as designed this year when my tiller hit a buried statue in the garden at the School I work :confused:. Good luck- Jay

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #4  
There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with me...I'd be mighty leary about doing that..but if that's what the tech said...then that's what I'd do.

Anyway, JB...I'm fairly knowledgible...but only a fool would think he's right all the time. I can be a fool...but not that big a fool!

Y'know, it probably would be a good idea if Island called his Kioti dealer...see what they say...

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #5  
Long time ago I did it with a good bar and some shims between first u-joint and PTO shaft end.

Thing was push on far enough that the retainer balls made little bumps in the retainer cup.

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor
Thanks to both of you for your somewhat contractory suggestions. I will certainly follow Roy's initial suggestions and dismantle things a bit more. I don't think it is that hard to take off the PTO shield and that would certainly give me better purchase on things. I may see about getting an appropriately sized gear/propellor puller too as that seems to be the type of tool that is least likely to do damage.

You two disagree on the external pulling strategy so I think I'll wait to see what other experienced TBNers have to say. May touch base with Kioti and my dealer too.

Hope this works out or I will be doing nothing but bush hogging the rest of the summer!!!:eek:

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #7  
Not wanting to stir things up here but I too have to disagree with Roy. I think if you try taking it apart more and using pry bars and it is still stuck, I would get a webbing strap and attatch it to the coupling on the shaft and then tie it to a immovable object. Make sure the shaft is being pulled out horizontally and it should be fine. I think it would also be better if you moved the tractor forwards rather than pulling with another vehicule as you will be able to see whats going on better. I expect it will pop off quite easily. :)

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #8  
Once you get it off (if it was me I'd take a hammer to it, gently, to try to get it back to operating), then maybe change out the connector to a style that is a little more user friendly. Oh, and don't forget to shorten the shaft up a little so it doesn't happen again.

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #9  
My Kuhn hay rake has this same Euro-style pto coupler. PITA. One possibility is that the coupler went on too far and is in a region of the 6-spline that's virgin, hence just tight. Second, there may be some dirt in the ball collar which prevents the balls from exiting the spline shaft ring slot. If the balls are worn, they may have flat spots on them which prevent the ring collar from kicking them out. (only three balls on my shaft) {Did I really say that??}

Worse scenario is that you've twisted the tractor pto output shaft and the coupler is hammer welded onto it. A pry bar and a friend to pull back the release collar is what it takes. Been there. In my case, dirt + rust + grease counteracted the release collar's action. The balls just stayed put. Slug it with a hammer to dance them out of their current position if you can pull back the release plate.

Should be some pictures or cutaway drawings of this type of shaft available somewhere... What's the brand of shaft or mower?

/ PTO shaft stuck/jammed on tractor #10  
There is a lot of shaft past the yoke in the picture.