PTO speed

/ PTO speed #1  

rhoxie1

Tractor
Ferguson TO 30
Hi

Got my to30 running just got a new carb. Now my question is using the 1 3/8 spline is the rpm the same (1500) or different

Thanks

Richard

/ PTO speed #2  
Normally the pto output (spline shaft) will run at 540 rpm when your engine is at "rated pto speed" which is normally just below redline. Some (most) tractors have that speed indicated on the tach. There are exceptions, and I am not familiar with your tractor.

/ PTO speed
I guess I need to rephrase the question. The manual states that at 1500 rpm is ,545 rpm at the PTO with the 1 1/8 spline. Now when using the 1 3/8 spline is it still 1500 rpm to turn the PTO at 540 rpm

Thanks Richard

/ PTO speed #4  
Yes it should still be the same speed

/ PTO speed #5  
Normally the pto output (spline shaft) will run at 540 rpm when your engine is at "rated pto speed" which is normally just below redline. Some (most) tractors have that speed indicated on the tach. There are exceptions, and I am not familiar with your tractor.

Not exactly. PTO indicated speed on the tachometer isn't 'redline', it's the engine speed at which the greatest torque is produced. Red line is the maximum safe allowable, sustainable RPM without destroying the engine.

/ PTO speed #6  
Not exactly. PTO indicated speed on the tachometer isn't 'redline', it's the engine speed at which the greatest torque is produced. Red line is the maximum safe allowable, sustainable RPM without destroying the engine.

Note, I said "normally just below redline."

/ PTO speed #7  
Note, I said "normally just below redline."

Not true either, especially if it's a diesel engine. Diesels produce maximum torque rise (maximum work produced) well below maximum operating rpm. Not 'just' below.

A highly tuned race engine produces maximum work at maximum rated rpm but thats not a tractor engine, it's a race car engine.

/ PTO speed #8  
wow. hair splitting like crazy... :)

just 'compair size' and lets get this guy going.

some old tractors didn't even come with tach's.. or if they did.. they no longer work. playing it by ear, feel, and look usually wins the race on these old girls. :)

/ PTO speed #9  
to the OP

the drive end of the pto shaft. the part that goes into the tractor, is the same even if the external stub shaft is the old 1 1/8 or the sae 1 3/8

same deal on fords of that era with conversion shafts now available

/ PTO speed
Thanks I wish I had a tach but I guess ole Harry thought we should be able guess the rpm

Richard