PTO stopped working on my 422

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #1  

KMA

Gold Member
Tractor
PT422 w/ EH72FI engine swap
Hi all,

I just picked up the finish and brush mowers for my PT422. I used the brush mower the other day and it worked great. I went to use it again today and when I flip the PTO switch I get nothing... :(

I did some searching around and saw owners talking about letting the machine cool down and turning on the PTO at idle and then upping the throttle. I tried that, and switched both mowers out but nothing. It doesn't appear that the hoses charge up at all, like the switch isn't even connected. Is there a fuse somewhere for the PTO switch?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #2  
I think the fuse is the same one that runs the lights and starter.
Try this, with key on and engine not running turn the PTO switch on and off. You should hear the solenoid click. If it does, then you may have trash in the solenoid valve. If it does not, you need to electrically troubleshoot. I would remove the front cover off of the pedestal and look for wires off of the switch. Also look at the connections on the solenoid. Wiggle these with the PTO switch and key switch on and see if the solenoid clicks.

Good luck.

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #3  
KMA said:
Hi all,

I just picked up the finish and brush mowers for my PT422. I used the brush mower the other day and it worked great. I went to use it again today and when I flip the PTO switch I get nothing... :(

I did some searching around and saw owners talking about letting the machine cool down and turning on the PTO at idle and then upping the throttle. I tried that, and switched both mowers out but nothing. It doesn't appear that the hoses charge up at all, like the switch isn't even connected. Is there a fuse somewhere for the PTO switch?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin
Did you make sure that the hoses fully connected , you can do this by pulling on the hoses that you just connected if they didn't lock it will pull back off. If this was the case though you would have heard the engine bog down a little because it would have put a load on the pto circuit. That probably isn't your problem but sometimes little simple things like that can cause a malfunction that might be overlooked and you think the problem is major problem. Hope you get it going without too much expense and frustration. and as mentioned before you might have a electrical malfunction if you could not hear the hydrolics load up.

/ PTO stopped working on my 422
BobRip said:
I think the fuse is the same one that runs the lights and starter.
Try this, with key on and engine not running turn the PTO switch on and off. You should hear the solenoid click. If it does, then you may have trash in the solenoid valve. If it does not, you need to electrically troubleshoot. I would remove the front cover off of the pedestal and look for wires off of the switch. Also look at the connections on the solenoid. Wiggle these with the PTO switch and key switch on and see if the solenoid clicks.

Good luck.
Bob,

I believe I do hear the solenoid click faintly. I did some multimeter testing on the switch and it appears to work. What did you mean by "trash i the solenoid valve"? If the solenoid is clicking, do you know what else the problem could be? :(

toy said:
Did you make sure that the hoses fully connected , you can do this by pulling on the hoses that you just connected if they didn't lock it will pull back off. If this was the case though you would have heard the engine bog down a little because it would have put a load on the pto circuit. That probably isn't your problem but sometimes little simple things like that can cause a malfunction that might be overlooked and you think the problem is major problem. Hope you get it going without too much expense and frustration. and as mentioned before you might have a electrical malfunction if you could not hear the hydrolics load up.
Toy,

Yes, I check and rechecked the hoses... everything looks fine. Is it possible dirt or debris got into the lines and could be causing something like this? I don't know what else it could be since it worked fine just the other day and I haven't done anything since. :mad:

Thanks again,
Kevin

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #5  
KMA said:
Bob,

I believe I do hear the solenoid click faintly. I did some multimeter testing on the switch and it appears to work. What did you mean by "trash i the solenoid valve"? If the solenoid is clicking, do you know what else the problem could be? :(

Toy,

Yes, I check and rechecked the hoses... everything looks fine. Is it possible dirt or debris got into the lines and could be causing something like this? I don't know what else it could be since it worked fine just the other day and I haven't done anything since. :mad:

Thanks again,
Kevin

Kevin,

I am assuming that the level of the fluid in the tank is correct.
If you want to know if you have any fluid going to the PTO,
take off the quick disconnects from the line going to the PTO. Make sure that it the supply line/pressure line. Place the line in a clean bucket, or put the line in the filler opening of the tank, and turn the PTO switch on. If you have little fluid coming out of the line, there could be trash or crud under the seat of the solenoid. Take out the solenoid and clean it. You can test the removed solenoid by using two test leads from the battery. If still no fluid after reinstallation , I would take off the line going to the solenoid manifold and run the output to tank. If you still have no fluid, then the PTO pump has a problem.

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #6  
Kevin,

A hung solenoid will just let the hydraulic fluid cycle back to tank.

J_J said:
Kevin,

A hung solenoid will just let the hydraulic fluid cycle back to tank.
Hi JJ,

What is hung solenoid exactly? (hung = stuck?) and how would I go about fixing it? :eek:

Thanks again!

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #8  
KMA said:
Hi JJ,

What is hung solenoid exactly? (hung = stuck?) and how would I go about fixing it? :eek:

Thanks again!

Hung, to me means that the solenoid is not fully seated or not opening all the way. As i said before, take it out and clean it. and apply voltage to see if it is moving the plunger back and forth. Some of the owners have had trouble with solenoid installed incorrectly, or mis-adjusted. I would not over tighten. Call Terry about how to seat or install the solenoid.

/ PTO stopped working on my 422 #9  
My PTO quit working on mine immediately upon delivery. According to Terry, they had a problem with quite a few due to quality control issues. The solenoid was torqued too hard onto the hydraulic valve, and distorted the valve blck, preventing the internal spool from shifting.

Put a piece of metal on the solenoid coil, turn it on, and see if it attracts the metal. On mine, the solenoid coil was still powered, but it wouldn't port the hydraulic oil.

It was a 2 minute process to swap out for a new valve.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/60509-my-power-take-off-doesnt.html

PTO_Solenoid_Marks.jpg

Tim_in_CT said:
My PTO quit working on mine immediately upon delivery. According to Terry, they had a problem with quite a few due to quality control issues. The solenoid was torqued too hard onto the hydraulic valve, and distorted the valve blck, preventing the internal spool from shifting.

Put a piece of metal on the solenoid coil, turn it on, and see if it attracts the metal. On mine, the solenoid coil was still powered, but it wouldn't port the hydraulic oil.

It was a 2 minute process to swap out for a new valve.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/60509-my-power-take-off-doesnt.html

PTO_Solenoid_Marks.jpg
Wow Tim, the stories in your thread sound just like my situation. I used the PTO once and the next time it wouldn't work. It does attract metal when switched on. I guess I should email Power Trac in the morning and see what they can do. Anyone have the best email address to use? I will call also, but I like to get to send email first so I have a "record" of the contact. :)

Thanks for everyone's help so far,
Kevin