PTO Won't engage

/ PTO Won't engage #1  

RedDawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra 5010, 1955 Ford 640
Fairly new to me 2012 Mahindra 5010. I've had it less than a year and it was fully serviced before I bought it. Been working great. Have only put about 60 hours on it. Has about 600 total. Used the rotary cutter a month ago. All was fine. Have used the tractor without the cutter for a few things since just to move some dirt. Hooked up the cutter this morning and engaged the PTO using the button on the dash. It lights up but the PTO does not engage. I get no feeling that anything is trying to engage. Am I missing a safety switch somewhere? I checked the fluids. Might have been down a little bit but I topped it off. No change. Any ideas what I should be looking for? Thanks.

/ PTO Won't engage
Ok, could it have been that simple?

Talked to the local Mahindra shop. Said it would be electrical and would ether be the switch on the dash or the solenoid located inside the right rear tire. Looked behind the right rear tire and there is a seemingly out of place, light gauge wire there with a loose connection. Plug it back together and surprise, surprise! It works. Seems like a vulnerable place to put a light gauge wire like that. Could be snagged by a lot of various brush and branches. But, I think I dodged a bullet.

/ PTO Won't engage #3  
You've probably already done this, but just in case you haven't, try re-routing the wire or at least zip tie it up, where it's not likely to get snagged by stuff you run over.

Glad it was an easy fix for you. I never would have thought about a solenoid outside of the dash area.

/ PTO Won't engage #4  
Ok, could it have been that simple?

Talked to the local Mahindra shop. Said it would be electrical and would ether be the switch on the dash or the solenoid located inside the right rear tire. Looked behind the right rear tire and there is a seemingly out of place, light gauge wire there with a loose connection. Plug it back together and surprise, surprise! It works. Seems like a vulnerable place to put a light gauge wire like that. Could be snagged by a lot of various brush and branches. But, I think I dodged a bullet.
Hi RedDawg,
I am having the same problem with my PTO not engaging but all the electrical switches are working.
Would you mind giving me more details on what that loose wire was and how you got your problem fixed?
thanks!

/ PTO Won't engage
Hi RedDawg,
I am having the same problem with my PTO not engaging but all the electrical switches are working.
Would you mind giving me more details on what that loose wire was and how you got your problem fixed?
thanks!
Sorry for the delay. Look just in front of the right rear tire. I found this one wire with a connector. The connector had come loose. Once I plugged that in, my PTO shaft engaged just fine. In this picture, the very front of the right rear tire is shown on left of the picture frame. Maybe yours will be that simple to find. Good luck.

Mahindra Wire.jpg

Steve