PTO

/ PTO #1  

TMBRWLF

Tractor
MF1739E
Hello all. Question about PTO useage. I have a MF1739 l purchased 3yrs ago new. I keep a box blade on it for work and counter weight as it's really used for FEL work. Im looking into more attachments now and will be using the PTO. The shaft cover has never been removed since it wasn't needed. I don't know if the PTO even works as l never tried it. Real question is, would this hurt the unit not using it? I'm sure seals would be ok. Just thinking out loud about this. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Reckon it's time to remove the cover......

/ PTO #2  
Lack of use should not hurt the PTO. Sometimes if the three point lowering valve is not adjusted from time to time it can become hard to move.

/ PTO #3  
My only PTO implement is a Wally chipper. I use it in the spring - every other year or so. Many times it goes three years w/out any use. I've never had any problems with this non-use.

Just be sure the stub is clean and well greased when you are ready to use it.

/ PTO #4  
I have tried to connect an implement to the tractor PTO for the first time.

I could not get the attachment to slide onto the PTO. I think it is a subtle alignment issue between the female splines of the implement and the male splines of the tractor PTO.

New PTO powered implements, connecting to new tractor PTO splines are always difficult. Once implement and tractor PTO parts are somewhat worn in, mating becomes easier.

Clean mating parts, lubrication and technique are the keys.

Most here like Eureka Fluid Film as PTO lube. I prefer wax chain lube in an aerosol can.

Grease is too thick.

WD-40 burns off. Shaft goes on "OK" cold but can be difficult to disconnect when hot. WD-40 leaves a sticky fish-oil residue which accumulates.

Connect the implement to the tractor via two Lower Link pins and one Top Link pin. Lift implement hydraulically until implement PTO shaft and tractor PTO spines are perfectly level, one with the other.

Turn tractor engine off, disengage PTO so tractor PTO splines can be turned by hand.

Turn male splines by hand until they align with female shaft indents. Slide shaft onto tractor splines. Retract whatever type of detent you have, button or collar, then push the implement shaft the final two inches onto the tractor PTO stub.

If the PTO shaft and tractor splines are NOT perfectly level it is almost impossible to shove implement shaft on to tractor PTO splines.

I am 74 years old. I can mount implement and connect the PTO on my heavier tractor without too much difficulty in five minutes

Hi folks...took a bit of time and fussing but wanted to update you. PTO connection problem was resolved by leveling the implement to the PTO.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022

Last edited:
   / PTO #5  
Jeff did a remarkable job describing the process. I will add that after latching the PTO shaft onto the tractor try to pull it back off. I've found the collar on my drive line doesn't always rotate back against the spring leaving the connection not completely latched. This can allow the shaft to separate in use with potentially disastrous results. Don't ask.