PTO

/ PTO #1  

stray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power-trac 422 2003 model and 428 January 2015 model
Guys. I had a failure. Help needed and appreciated!! What is this and what does it do?

Attachments

• 813168-Copy of 0126061214a.jpg
    813168-Copy of 0126061214a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 345
   / PTO #2  
Don't know. Looks electrical. Is it on your PT422? Where is it located exactly? What engine is it?

/ PTO #3  
It looks like a voltage regulator to me.I know that the Kohler regulator is mounted on the engine.

/ PTO #4  
Looks similar to the voltage regulator mounted in my PT-422. Mine is mounted on the PT frame near the starter. It is about $25 for the 15 amp replacement. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dale

/ PTO #5  
If that is in fact your voltage regulator, it could just be defective. I would disconnect those wires from the regulator, and start the engine and check to see if you have about 26 volts AC from two of those wires. The other wire should be the 12 volt DC battery charging wire with a good regulator. If you don't have the 26 volts, then the alternator is bad.

/ PTO
Thanks guys this seems to be my findings. I guess $25 won't be too bad. The old one is completely burnt out. I had had trouble keeping the battery charged on my 422 but didn't find this problem till the PTO wouldn't switch flow to the PTO hoses. I started looking and thought this burnt out thing was the problem. Not!! This was another problem.
The machine would only do the grunt thing when I turned the PTO switch on and act like nothing was hooked to the hoses. After calling Terry of Power-trac I took the nut loose on the solenoid mounted to the block, (as I said different problem) twisted and pecked around on it, put the solenoid back together. The PTO was fine after that.
PS. Terry said only tighten the nut on the solenoid to 10 ft. lbs. (not to tight).
Now after this I will be able to use my PT as long as I keep the battery charged. At least till I get a voltage regulator and make up some new wires that the insulation was burnt off of.
Thanks again for the help and I hope this discussion goes beyond helping me and adds to the already large value of this forum.

/ PTO #7  
I had a similar problem two years ago with my PTO solenoid. At the same time I had a 30 amp voltage regulator, original equipment, that kept going bad. My PTO solenoid problem did not go away after I solved the voltage regulator problem. I assume the ignition switch would heat up and dropped the voltage to the PTO solenoid. Rather than replace the switch, I installed a wire with a fuse from the battery post on the starter to the PTO switch. No more PTO solenoid problems. Yes , the PTO solenoid switch will remain energized with the ignition key off. I kept the wire from the PTO switch to the ignition switch that prevents the engine from starting with the PTO switch ON.

Hope this helps,

Dale

/ PTO #8  
For safety reasons, I would have thought that the solenoid voltage would have come from the accessory terminal on the switch.

/ PTO
I was wondering if a voltage regulator off of some car or so would work. I am having little trouble finding OEM.

/ PTO #10  
Car voltage regulators control the voltage by adjusting the alternator field current. Small engines do not have a field, so the answer is no. It's a totally different design.
Sorry

Bob Rip