Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them?

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #1  

Dunno

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford
Hello,
I’m going to be doing cleanup and reclamation work on my 15+ acre field. I have let it grow for the past 7 years, and have some large saplings to contend with. The birches are the biggest at 15-20’ tall and 3” or a little more bases. I picked up a Buxh Hog 306 cutter, the one that they made their reputation on. Huge cast gearbox and slip clutch. Very stout, 72” 1100lbs. Says it will do 3” trees. It’s going on my 1964 Ford 4000 gas job, 43hp or so at pto. Could use my Ford 545, 50+ pto hp but heavy for my field. Thought about buying a Notch tree puller, $3k, and mount on tractor or tracked skid steer to do the pulling. Have used chain and slip collar on front bucket, but tough to get around some things, especially multi-flora rose and some buckthorn. I haven’t tried the bush hog yet, but wondering if worth investing in tree puller or just use hog to cut it all down if able? Lastly, some area will be wet and only tracked skid steer will work there, but at the cost of really rutting the field and making it a big mud-bog. Thanks. Best regards.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #2  
Maybe a small chainsaw and use a grapple to pile on burn pile?

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #3  
3 inch trees are not "saplings" IMHO. Chainsaw (at ground level), stump treatment and burn the things. Bushog MIGHT cut it down, but will leave a 4" tall, dangerous, ragged stump to re-grow.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #4  
If you have the track loader, maybe a mulcher...

Something like these. Could you rent one?

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #5  
I use a tree puller for that size (and a bit larger) work. But you need a decent size tractor, loaded tires and ballast.

But I going to try my buddy's stump bucket.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #6  
Hello,
I’m going to be doing cleanup and reclamation work on my 15+ acre field. I have let it grow for the past 7 years, and have some large saplings to contend with. The birches are the biggest at 15-20’ tall and 3” or a little more bases. I picked up a Buxh Hog 306 cutter, the one that they made their reputation on. Huge cast gearbox and slip clutch. Very stout, 72” 1100lbs. Says it will do 3” trees. It’s going on my 1964 Ford 4000 gas job, 43hp or so at pto. Could use my Ford 545, 50+ pto hp but heavy for my field. Thought about buying a Notch tree puller, $3k, and mount on tractor or tracked skid steer to do the pulling. Have used chain and slip collar on front bucket, but tough to get around some things, especially multi-flora rose and some buckthorn. I haven’t tried the bush hog yet, but wondering if worth investing in tree puller or just use hog to cut it all down if able? Lastly, some area will be wet and only tracked skid steer will work there, but at the cost of really rutting the field and making it a big mud-bog. Thanks. Best regards.

Just read this quickly.
I’m pretty sure the cutter you have is OK for 3” as long as you go slow, but consider the shock load you are putting on your PTO box & clutches.

I do this kind of work all the time and it’s hard on the driveline.

In your situation, a used Brown Tree Cutter might be a great idea, then re-sell it when you are done. It will but less driveline shock on your tractor.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #7  
My mower is only rated for 2 inches, but I never cut anything that big on purpose. If it's that big, or bigger, I'm going to dig them out with my backhoe and haul them to the burn pile. One of the bigger issues with cutting saplings with the mower is the spikes in the ground that you are left with. I've had enough flat tires over the years that I don't want to leave anything sticking out of the ground that will cause me more issues in the future.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #8  
Smaller trees 2" or less will zipper out cleanly, larger 3" will break the roots and leave a mess. At least here they do. It gets to be a lot of large roots to try to tear out without breaking them off. Cutting off at ground level and grapple would be my choice, with brush hog or herbicide to keep the resprouting stumps cleared.

Last edited:
   / Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #9  
agree w/above, although your cutter is heavy duty, multiple 3" saplings would put a strain on the hog & drive train, & as pointed out, would require a lot of clean up & would pose puncture liability as well. i'd go w/chain saw idea.

/ Pull 3” saplings or Bush Hog them? #10  
How many of the larger diameter trees are there? 15 acres is a lot of physical work with a set of loppers but, it depends on how many there are. My wife had a battery operated loppers. They work well. Or with a second person use a brush grubber

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401_094742_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_094742_Google.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 38